Siege of Vienna

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
scipioafricanus

Re: Siege of Vienna

Post by scipioafricanus »

Jered wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:15 am
Vonz90 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Jered wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 pm THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
...and the Austrians, Saxons, Bavarians, Bohemians etc. (And in the wider war Italians, Hungarians, Serbians) The Great Turkish War was the first time that most of Europe united against the Turks; and ended up pushing them out of eastern Poland, Moravia, Hungary and much of the Balkans.

Of notable absence were the French and English. The French were formally allied with the Turks and the English did not see any advantage for themselves so they stayed out.
But the Winged Hussars got a song.
A Sabaton song: https://youtu.be/rcYhYO02f98
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jered

Post by Jered »

scipioafricanus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am A Sabaton song: https://youtu.be/rcYhYO02f98
Thanks for reminding me to buy their new album.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Jered wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:56 am
scipioafricanus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am A Sabaton song: https://youtu.be/rcYhYO02f98
Thanks for reminding me to buy their new album.
Just got mine. Love it!
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Weren't the English in the middle of a war with the Dutch at that time? At least they didn't conclude that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

The Third Anglo-Dutch War had concluded roughly a decade earlier. (1674)

England was in a bit of a mess internally over the coming succession of Charles II (a Protestant) by his brother James (who would become James II, the last Catholic monarch of England.) Chuck II died in 1685.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

What's the real story on the "Glorious Revolution" which replaced James II with William and Mary (History's first Orange man bad for English Catholics?)?
Supposedly he was "invited" by the Parliament, but I've read that he was sitting in Dutch ports with an army waiting for the right moment to sail for England. I am also mindful that Henry VII dated his reign from the day BEFORE the battle of Bosworth Field, resulting in all the loyal followers of the existing king becoming outlaws. More detail about that transfer of power is needed.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy