F100 Shoots itself.

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
toad

F100 Shoots itself.

Post by toad »

I'm trying to find a link to the story. I read it in a magazine at the time. Basically the F-100 was doing a live fire exercise. It fired its 20 mm cannon and then did a shallow high speed dive straight in the direction that it had fired its guns. It caught up with the 20 mm rounds coming down and got hit. I've often wondered what the pilots compadres said to him afterwards. Did someone paint an F-100 on his plane.
Catbird

Re: F100 Shoots itself.

Post by Catbird »

Sounds like the F11F Tiger that shot itself down in 1956.

There is an animation of the event HERE.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Catbird wrote:Sounds like the F11F Tiger that shot itself down in 1956.

There is an animation of the event HERE.
ROFL!
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Rod

Post by Rod »

I heard the same thing many times but now can't seem to find any information. I just wrote a message to the Super Sabre website and will see if they know about it.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
toad

Post by toad »

I was looking for a good video on the infamous F-100 Sabre Dance. I only found videos of the F-100 C fatal accident.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... 40347C51EB
. IIRC, The aircraft had a nose wheel that wouldn't come down. When you got near stall speed on the Super Sabre you had to keep a light hand on the controls and not throw the throttle on hard. If you over controlled it would start "porpoising" doing an up and down yo-yo and going from side to side. Again IIRC, It was said if you started a Sabre dance the best thing to do was eject when your cockpit was pointed upright.