A-10: Like a zombie, back from the dead!!!

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Jericho941

Re: A-10: Like a zombie, back from the dead!!!

Post by Jericho941 »

Aesop wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:Short answer: I, too, would like a living pony made out of diamonds. They're essentially asking for a subsonic F-15E with the F-35's cockpit and the A-10's gun.

Long answer: When Pierre Sprey is the voice of sanity, you're in trouble. You can get some of what they want out of a Super Hawg, but not all of it. Stronger engines generally mean more weight, and additional fuel and weapons definitely do. That's going to impact your maneuverability. You're certainly not going to make a jet with 15,000 pounds of ordnance and a full fuel load dance like a Zero.
Like I said. :D
So we agree on that much.

But if they could upgrade the A-10 evolutionary, instead of going for revolutionary, they'd take a load of mission off the F-35's far too optimistically full plate, and maybe whittle it down to something usable for the other eleventy missions left behind.

Then everybody wins, except the @$$holes who thought you could shoehorn 9 aircraft for 3 services into 1 airframe, which was a fool's errand from the get-go, and has been every time we've tried it.

And the guys on the ground still get actual CAS missions flown by dedicated CAS aircraft; a FrankenA-10 now, and something better down the road.
Yeah, I think we're on the same page, just different paragraphs.
Rich wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:" It's not an exaggeration to say the A-10 is a plane wrapped around a big gun. It is tightly wrapped around it. You're going to want a smaller gun, ammo drum, or both."

How important is a 30mm to this CAS mission, vs a 20mm or 25mm?

An M61 20mm is 1/3 the length and 1/4 the weight of the GAU-8. With HEI rounds is it enough for the CAS role?
Problem is, when you screw with the gun on the A-10, unless you're willing to add a whole bunch of internal braces, struts and whatnot to mount the new gun, you're talking a whole new fuselage.
Fun fact: The YA-10 and YA-9 originally flew off against each other with M61 Vulcans mounted.
blackeagle603 wrote:I'm back at the replacement airframe idea. A smaller gun would open some degrees of design freedom.

Is a tank killer gun role really called for in the current era? If no, then would 20mm or 25mm be adequate for the CAS role?
I really don't see the point of one oversized gun in an aircraft dedicated to CAS. The whole point of a CAS platform is, after all, to help troops in contact, and those that are about to be. In an environment where you're operating such an aircraft, the likelihood of encountering a tank more advanced than some enterprising guy's Killdozer is barely non-zero. Otherwise, that's where the aforementioned menagerie of existing USAF inventory that does the whole "track and kill moving targets from ranges greater than eight nautical miles while flying at altitudes above 20,000 feet" comes into play.

If that seems optimistic, remember the CBU-105. In the opening hours of the conflict, possibly before your troops get the chance to cross into enemy territory, the bomb trucks should've already rendered the enemy's armor down to a historical footnote. If not, we're still playing the "supersonic and armed with PGMs" game, and it's not quite time for our CAS bruiser to show up.

So it really comes down to "what caliber for jeeps, camels, and assholes with AKs?" Something for which virtually every modern aircraft cannon is adequate for. So while looking at 20mm and 25mm would be worthwhile, I think it's also worth considering looking for something with perhaps a lower velocity, but a bigger HEI payload.

TL;DR: I dig it.
Netpackrat wrote:I bet the Georgians would be happy to sell us some new SU-25s. :lol:
Practicality be damned, I'd ask Northrop Grumman to make us some A-9s before doing that, purely for the sake of national dignity. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

Like the 30mm chain gun they hang off the bottom of the Apache.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I really don't have a dog in this fight, all I ask for is something low and slow that has a good chance of putting ordnance on bad guys without putting it on me (danger close).

I occasionally saw A10s. A10 sightings were pretty rare. I don't recall ever seeing an AC130, so I'm sure they are so rare as to be essentially mythical.

What we could count on for CAS was Apaches.

Apaches are great, but they have limited loiter time ordnance carrying capacity and range. They are also maintenance hogs.

All I want is something in fixed wing that operates within the performance envelope of an Apache that goes further, carries more stuff and can stay on station long enough to drop it where I want it. And I want lots of them.

If that doesn't fit the mission of the USAF, then release it to the US Army, and we can have organic fixed wing assets again.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

If we can find a proper spiritual successor to the B-25G, the Air Force will play. Plenty of heavy drivers who would take the job.

So, who wants to design an aerial gunship with more bravado and firepower than decorum and good sense? I'd start with an OV-10 or IA-58 (if we must go foreign) and build from there.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I once got to talk to an older gentleman who had flown one of the strafing variants of the B-25... He said you could literally plow with it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I can imagine. The B-25 was the predecessor to the F-111, being medium bombers. I was impressed at how well it accepted field modifications.

The 75mm gun, though, was ahead of its time. A recoilless version of the 75 or 106 would have made it much easier. I think it'd be easy to make a good venting system for it, too.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

The Russians tried to make airborne recoilless guns work without much success before WW2. They even tried a 75mm recoilless cannon with the TSh-B. They found that basically, you couldn't hit anything with them, you couldn't carry much ammo, and reloading was really tricky. The concept was dropped altogether when it was realized that unguided rockets would do everything you wanted out of a recoilless gun without all the problems.
Greg wrote:Like the 30mm chain gun they hang off the bottom of the Apache.
Possibly, yeah.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Air Force maintainers are also preparing to replace the wings of the A-10 fleet, tapping a $2 billion contract originally awarded to Boeing in 2007, which was intended at the time to keep the fleet flying until 2028. Some corrosion of the planes has been seen at the depots, but Pawlikowski says this is to be expected, especially on an aircraft that has been in service since 1977.
Better fire more maintainers to pay for it
BDK

Post by BDK »

D5Cav, in essence you want an armored dirigible