Question for Service Veterans

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
The Quiet Man

Re: Question for Service Veterans

Post by The Quiet Man »

Gimme a dirty, slow, hot, stinking oiler anyday
Yessir! My first ship was an oiler and while there I was loaned out TAD to her sister ship so they could complete RefTra in GITMO (lucky me :? ) I have never been among a tighter group af guys than those in B-Div on that ship. God Bless 'em all!
Sea Dawg

Post by Sea Dawg »

25 years in the Navy.

It is not for every one. Some like it, some don't. As noted above, small units tend to be better and you are tighter with your shipmates and comrades. I served in craft and ships from an LCU (13 Men) to an LHA (900 + 2000 Marines). My best tour was as the Chief Engineer in a guided missile frigate (220 men).

It was also better is years past. Congress and DOD are trying to fight the current wars on the cheap, shorting the troops and fleet of needed equipment and over-taxing the people, active duty, Reserves and National Guard alike.

My daughter is pulling the plug on the National Guard after 13 years (4 army, 9 guard including 3 years of active duty). She is a Staff Sgt. (E-6) She's had it, and they wanted her to go on a third peace keeping deployment after she finally got an outstanding job, bought a house, and wanted to settle down. A lady friend at work, USNA grad, bailed on the Marines after 8 years (Capt. O-3), frustrated with the 14-16 hour days and weekend work covering for all of the deployed folks in her specialty. She wanted to have a life. Since she got out she has married, and her husband, a Marine, will be getting out after his next deployment.

Another lady friend, a surface line Lt. Cdr (O-4) with over 12 years, was working a similar schedule noted above on shore duty after coming ashore from three years of sea duty. I worked with her, and she is an outstanding officer. She only met the man she would marry because she dealt with him professionally at work as he is a merchant marine officer on one of the Navy's fleet auxiliary ships (Guaranteed by the Military Sealift Command to the Navy for 270 days per year). After this assignment she would have to go back to sea as an Executive Officer, the busiest job in the Navy. They both decided to jump ship when her assignment here is over and go have a life together. Family life can be real hard for a service member, man or woman. I missed a lot of my daughter's younger years.

The Lt. Cdr. is expecting her first child next week. She is a petite woman and has had a somewhat difficult pregnancy, necessitating her early relief from her duties. Your thoughts and prayers for a safe delivery of her baby would be appreciated.
A free people ought ..to be armed. Geo. Washington, 1790
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The Quiet Man wrote:
Gimme a dirty, slow, hot, stinking oiler anyday
Yessir! My first ship was an oiler and while there I was loaned out TAD to her sister ship so they could complete RefTra in GITMO (lucky me :? ) I have never been among a tighter group af guys than those in B-Div on that ship. God Bless 'em all!
Which one? I was on the Kalamazoo (AOR-6)
Sea Dawg

Post by Sea Dawg »

Bet my dirty, slow, hot, stinking oiler was slower than yours! I served in USS Taluga (AO 62) in the '60s.
randy

Post by randy »

Sea Dawg wrote: Your thoughts and prayers for a safe delivery of her baby would be appreciated.
Got your back on this one!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sea Dawg wrote:Bet my dirty, slow, hot, stinking oiler was slower than yours! I served in USS Taluga (AO 62) in the '60s.
I spent long enough on the Camden (AOE-2) to qualify MMOW and BTOW. She was an oiler, just happened to have a few tons of bombs, food, and spare parts as well.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

randy wrote:
Sea Dawg wrote: Your thoughts and prayers for a safe delivery of her baby would be appreciated.
Got your back on this one!
Roger that! Here's another one!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
The Quiet Man

Post by The Quiet Man »

Which one? I was on the Kalamazoo (AOR-6)
USS Caloosahatchee (AO98)
USS Canisteo (AO99) - (Long enough to go to GITMO for RefTra)
Sea Dawg

Post by Sea Dawg »

The Lt. Cdr. had a baby boy a few days ago. I haven't heard any negatives so assume she and her son are ok. Next step is 6 weeks maternity leave, then a week back at the command checking out, and she and her husband and son will go somewhere to have a hopefully long and happy life together. God speed Hil.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Outstanding! Give them our thanks, and best wishes!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom