Syrian Fishbed on a bombing run...

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Jericho941

Re: Syrian Fishbed on a bombing run...

Post by Jericho941 »

If you just wanna spook him into missing, a Dushka's a bit much unless you plan on holding an area for a long time. Otherwise, if you can find enough tracers, probably better off with RPKs.
PawPaw wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:Spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while praying for a golden BB is every bit as effective as spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while hoping for a golden BB.
When that's what you've got, that's what you use.
What I was getting at is that it's kinda weird to say they're acting all goofy-like while advocating pretty much exactly what they're doing. Spray and pray. It's just that their prayer sounds goofy.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The point was, they're overwhelmingly doing pray and pray.

If they were doing spray and pray, I'd have had no issue.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Aesop wrote:The point was, they're overwhelmingly doing pray and pray.

If they were doing spray and pray, I'd have had no issue.
Actually, the way they're saying it certainly sounds MUCH MORE like: "OH SHIT, OH SHIT, OH SHIT, WE'RE FUCKED, WE'RE FUCKED, OH SHIT!!!"
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Now I can't get this song out of my head.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Yogimus wrote:When your options are: "Shoot back" or "lube up the butthole", you go with what you know.
So to determine the Syrian point of view, is it Thursday?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman »

Easy for me to armchair air-defense this, especially as I have never been the target of a bombing run; but do all modern jet aircraft runs come in that....slow? The video looks like the aircraft took a leisurely approach and then angled in on the target at a low speed.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Don't confuse Syrian ground attacks with modern jet warfare, just because they're flying jets.
It's like giving aborigines smart phones, or cave men buying car insurance.
They used to make this mistake themselves, until about 1967.
And again in 1973.
And again in 1981 or so.
They're slow learners there, but it's hard to hand down institutional knowledge when your best pilots are scattered over the hills north of Galilee and the Golan Heights about once a decade.
So you can take a guess what's left over and flying for them now.

For the record, USMC and Navy ground strikes usually see them flying the other way at max speed, and the only time you know you're in a world of shit is the last second inverted pull up from 90-270 degrees off their last attack line, just before they roll wings level and drop a sh*tstorm on you at just under the speed of sound.

I haven't seen USAF tactics under similar situations, so I can't address them.

But when you actually get attacked by someone who knows their business, rather than someone using WWI tactics, the best defense is to be somewhere else.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Catbird wrote:Now I can't get this song out of my head.
Given the NATO code name for the jet, I was expecting this song instead... :lol:

Fishbeds fishbeds
Roly poly fishbeds
fishbeds fishbeds
Shoot them down, fun!
In the hanger laughing happy fishbeds
In the evening splattered on the ground
(chorus)
Shoot a fishbed with anything you want to
they won't survive they cant tank.
(chorus)
I took a fishbed over the mideast
didnt have to land it again.
(chorus)
They don't play BVR
they don't carry jammers
they're not good CAS
They don't carry JDAMs!!
(chorus)
Rolypoly fishbeds are never seen drinking capachino in Italian restaurants
with oriental women!!!!!
Yeah!
Fishbeds fishbeds
roly poly fishbeds
fishbeds fishbeds
Shoot them down, fun!!
YEEAAHHHH!!!!!!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

What Cyberludite said! :lol:
308Mike wrote:Actually, the way they're saying it certainly sounds MUCH MORE like: "OH SHIT, OH SHIT, OH SHIT, WE'RE FUCKED, WE'RE FUCKED, OH SHIT!!!"
As Yogi said, you go with what you know. :D

The Inshallah school of Marksmanship has three advantages. It's quick, cheap, and builds on the Inshallah school of science.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Aesop wrote: I haven't seen USAF tactics under similar situations, so I can't address them.

We normally drop the bombs from 30,000 ft. Determining whether the target is actually a group of Canadians is outside the scope of this reply.