Has anyone else noticed gas prices slowly dropping?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Has anyone else noticed gas prices slowly dropping?

Post by HTRN »

It seemed to have peaked around Memorial day, and has been dropping slowly ever since - currently cheapest place in the county is $4.30/gallon..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Re: Has anyone else noticed gas prices slowly dropping?

Post by Vonz90 »

Yes, same around here. (Indiana)
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Doing kind of the same in Missouri. My wife got it for $3.999 the other day.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Yes, but still too high.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Spoke to one of my friends yesterday, he reported the same for Diesel in NJ.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

Have you also observed the simultaneous drop-off in the number of cars on the road? I still see people out and about, but casual errand running is a thing of the past, and low fuel economy used trucks are piling back up on dealer lots. Gas prices spiked because of peak stupid, and the market is correcting with lower demand pushing prices back down again. With the cost of food being up over 50% since January (Milk is ~$4/gal, bread is 2/$3 on sale instead of 2/$2 on sale back in Jan...), the heat wave combining with increased energy prices (my power bill averages $150-$175, last month was $417 - partly because of the extra A/C running to keep my daughter's 4-H rabbit from dying in the garage, but mostly because the house AC stays on CONSTANTLY, but I digress), and the cost of consumer items rising sharply... nobody has any spare 'driving around money'. It actually frightens me more than if it had stayed higher: the price drop means demand has plummeted significantly because people are really, really bad off.

I need to make sure to capitalize on this dip and get all the fuel cans and the generator all topped off. If the power grid goes squirrely, I need to be able to keep the freezer and fridges running for a good while.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, demand is inelastic but not totally inelastic. e.g. Drove to Texas for 3 weeks end of June.

Had planned to drive the 7.3 PSD F250 with Slide in camper.
We still drove but took the RAV4 instead, moteled it and skipped the local camping trip we had in mind while in Texas.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

I loved going out and providing amateur radio support to triathlons, marathons, multi-day bike rides etc. A lot of fun being out in the country side and playing radio. (The mobile scenery on a lot of the events is pretty nice too)

I can no longer justify the gas money that would cost, either for the round trip to the event site, or worse, acting as a SAG (Support and Gear) truck/Tail End Charlie/Leap frogging to set up radio relay sites.

Right now I'm limiting to a trip or two the VFW Post, a weekly grocery shopping trip (both around a mile) and whatever Dr. visits I need. Otherwise the truck stays in the garage.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:56 pm Have you also observed the simultaneous drop-off in the number of cars on the road?
I hadn't, but traffic never really recovered since COVID started...

Precision

Post by Precision »

I have a big diesel truck on mud tires 14mpg average
Wife has a nissan rogue 25mpg average

We took a trip to Florida, airfare was going to be over $900

We skipped that and drove the Prius and averaged about 48 mpg. I think we spend less than $200 on fuel including all the side trips.
It was a concern and we priced the options including time. Prius won out due to mileage and being able to (just barely) fit our stuff. Taking the truck is much more limited these days as Diesel has only dropped to $5.19. Last gas paid was $3.75.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/