Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe assassinated

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe assassinated

Post by HTRN »

Conflicting reports on his death.

Judging by photos, it appears the shooter used a homemade double pipe shotgun using black powder, making me think, lone nut.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-07-08/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Re: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe assassinated

Post by randy »

My first thought on seeing the news was "That's unpossible! Japan has gun control laws that are the envy of US Democrat politicians"
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:14 pm My first thought on seeing the news was "That's unpossible! Japan has gun control laws that are the envy of US Democrat politicians"
The device used could literally be cobbled together in any first world country, regardless of gun control.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:07 am
randy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:14 pm My first thought on seeing the news was "That's unpossible! Japan has gun control laws that are the envy of US Democrat politicians"
The device used could literally be cobbled together in any first world country, regardless of gun control.
The gunsmiths of the tribal areas in Pakistan would be ashamed to turn out something that crude.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:07 am
That's kind of the point, isn't it? The only somewhat interesting thing about the device, is that it apparently used some kind of electronic ignition to work around the non-availability of primers in Japan.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:04 pm That's kind of the point, isn't it? The only somewhat interesting thing about the device, is that it apparently used some kind of electronic ignition to work around the non-availability of primers in Japan.
My guess is either model rocket igniters, or he used very fine nichrome wire.

What I'm curious about, is what did he use for propellant? My best educated guess is homemade black, but he could also used matchheads as well. Both are somewhat touchy to prepare...

Jered

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 pm My guess is either model rocket igniters, or he used very fine nichrome wire.

What I'm curious about, is what did he use for propellant? My best educated guess is homemade black, but he could also used matchheads as well. Both are somewhat touchy to prepare...
Can't you get black powder from fireworks?

Also, steel wool will burn if you put electrical current on it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jered wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:34 am Can't you get black powder from fireworks?.
That's flash powder, which is somewhat similar, but has powdered aluminum in it. Most is far to fine to use, and would likely turn the "gun into a "bomb".

5 pounds of potassium nitrate is $20 on Amazon.
A pound of sulfur is 10 bucks.
3 pounds of airfloat charcoal powder is 20 bucks.
A pound of dextrin powder( really only need 1%) is 13 bucks.

Add a ball mill and a sieve and you're on your way..