Gettysburg

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Gettysburg

Post by Vonz90 »

randy

Re: Gettysburg

Post by randy »

Every few years I re-watch the Ted Turner Gettysburg movie, breaking it up so I watch each part on the appropriate day ("the First Day" on 1 July, etc.)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

randy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:03 pm Every few years I re-watch the Ted Turner Gettysburg movie, breaking it up so I watch each part on the appropriate day ("the First Day" on 1 July, etc.)
I’ve done that too. Also watched ‘Gods and Generals’, the prequel, before doing Gettysburg’.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:03 pm Every few years I re-watch the Ted Turner Gettysburg movie, breaking it up so I watch each part on the appropriate day ("the First Day" on 1 July, etc.)
That is a really good idea. May need to do that next year.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:12 pm I’ve done that too. Also watched ‘Gods and Generals’, the prequel, before doing Gettysburg’.
Uhm...

https://youtu.be/S3E2FdedPwU
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Captain Wheelgun

HTRN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 am
Captain Wheelgun wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:12 pm I’ve done that too. Also watched ‘Gods and Generals’, the prequel, before doing Gettysburg’.
Uhm...

Yeah, I’ve seen claims like that about anything that doesn’t portray the Confederates as drooling, uni-dimensional monsters. My opinion, and it’s only that, an opinion, is that the Confederacy was right about a lot of things that led to the war. But what they were wrong about, (slavery), was SO wrong that it’s tainted all conversation about the war.

‘Gods and Generals’, in my opinion, was no more pro-Confederate than ‘Gettysburg’ was.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:11 pm My opinion, and it’s only that, an opinion, is that the Confederacy was right about a lot of things that led to the war. But what they were wrong about, (slavery), was SO wrong that it’s tainted all conversation about the war.
That's about the best description in a nutshell that I have read. The South sacrificed the principles of states' rights and the legitimacy of secession on the altar of slavery, to all of our detriment.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:11 pm
HTRN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 am
Uhm...

My opinion, and it’s only that, an opinion, is that the Confederacy was right about a lot of things that led to the war. But what they were wrong about, (slavery), was SO wrong that it’s tainted all conversation about the war.
There us some plausibility there, but I would only take it so far. There are those who see the Confederacy as some nascent libertarian utopia for some reason but the slavery imperative made it a proto police state as much as anything. Who knows how it would have gone but I would not have high hopes for a nation built on slavery and governed by a self selected agrarian aristocracy.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:17 amWho knows how it would have gone but I would not have high hopes for a nation built on slavery and governed by a self selected agrarian aristocracy.
Rome 2.0 :evil:

I still think that Glory was the best Civil War film ever made. Gettysburg comes in at #2..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Captain Wheelgun

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:50 pm
Captain Wheelgun wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:11 pm My opinion, and it’s only that, an opinion, is that the Confederacy was right about a lot of things that led to the war. But what they were wrong about, (slavery), was SO wrong that it’s tainted all conversation about the war.
That's about the best description in a nutshell that I have read. The South sacrificed the principles of states' rights and the legitimacy of secession on the altar of slavery, to all of our detriment.
Exactly!!