Rash of shootings, Spidey sense tingling

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: Rash of shootings, Spidey sense tingling

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

We've been over this a million times before.

"There is a cultural problem, but it's not the one you're thinking of. It's not the rifle, y'all know that."

The media hypes up a mass shooting, copycats follow. The only acceptable response is direct intervention: if you can't stop them you at least distract them as long as you can. You buy time for those who can't fight back to escape and for those who can to arrive.

Cops have no duty to protect anyone but themselves. The Supreme Court has ruled accordingly, multiple times. You can say that they have a duty to protect society, but individuals are not society. But well, cops are part of society. Funny how that works.

There's nothing fishy about this outcome besides the fact that it stinks like everything else cops touch. This and Parkland are the summation of issues with law enforcement that we have all been well aware of, even those of us most ardently believing that cops are genuinely good little sheepdogs, for years prior. "Whatever it takes to make it home at the end of my shift (no matter how long I have to hide or how many kids I need to shoot)." THAT is the norm. You can thank Colonel Grossman for that.

SRO is a plum assignment. You pull a six figure salary in a zero risk environment to occasionally shake kids down for weed or whatever. Nobody picks that job to be a warrior. Of course they always run away. If they face any consequences for letting kids die, their Benevolent Association will get them out of it.

Hell, just now in Kent, an associate chief of police got in trouble for pretty openly being a Nazi. When it became clear that a two-week paid vacation wasn't enough, the city decided to pay him $1.5 million to resign.

All of you who've posted your stories about cops with attitude, how they considered themselves about "civilians" even though they are technically also civilians? Keep that in mind.
scipioafricanus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 pmI really have my doubts that a woman jumped the fence, found just her two children in the school, and led them out.
The cops do not even dispute that that is what happened. About 15 minutes after that story dropped they all suddenly gave up on trying to offer their side of the story and decided to lawyer up. Funny, that.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:36 am We've been over this a million times before.

"There is a cultural problem, but it's not the one you're thinking of. It's not the rifle, y'all know that."

The media hypes up a mass shooting, copycats follow. The only acceptable response is direct intervention: if you can't stop them you at least distract them as long as you can. You buy time for those who can't fight back to escape and for those who can to arrive.

Cops have no duty to protect anyone but themselves. The Supreme Court has ruled accordingly, multiple times. You can say that they have a duty to protect society, but individuals are not society. But well, cops are part of society. Funny how that works.

There's nothing fishy about this outcome besides the fact that it stinks like everything else cops touch. This and Parkland are the summation of issues with law enforcement that we have all been well aware of, even those of us most ardently believing that cops are genuinely good little sheepdogs, for years prior. "Whatever it takes to make it home at the end of my shift (no matter how long I have to hide or how many kids I need to shoot)." THAT is the norm. You can thank Colonel Grossman for that.

SRO is a plum assignment. You pull a six figure salary in a zero risk environment to occasionally shake kids down for weed or whatever. Nobody picks that job to be a warrior. Of course they always run away. If they face any consequences for letting kids die, their Benevolent Association will get them out of it.

Hell, just now in Kent, an associate chief of police got in trouble for pretty openly being a Nazi. When it became clear that a two-week paid vacation wasn't enough, the city decided to pay him $1.5 million to resign.

All of you who've posted your stories about cops with attitude, how they considered themselves about "civilians" even though they are technically also civilians? Keep that in mind.
scipioafricanus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 pmI really have my doubts that a woman jumped the fence, found just her two children in the school, and led them out.
The cops do not even dispute that that is what happened. About 15 minutes after that story dropped they all suddenly gave up on trying to offer their side of the story and decided to lawyer up. Funny, that.
+1 I have been making this point to people often.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/13/us/texas ... index.html

This is how to respond to these things.
randy

Post by randy »

To help things in Ohio on that front, the Gov signed a bill to allow trained teachers carry firearms in schools.

This had been allowed until a Bloomberg Astroturf group sued a school district and in it's final decision the OH Supreme Court ruled that the law as written meant that essentially any teacher wanting to carry had to complete all the training that a Police officer would need, over 700 hours.

House Bill 99 was the legislature slapping down the Supreme Court by removing any doubt as to it's intent in getting more armed staff into schools to respond to goblin infestations. The law mandates 24 hours of initial training and 8 hours annual requalification training, all specifically related to the school environment.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uvalde-polic ... age-deputy

If true his training was abysmal or he was just in the wrong line of work.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Jocko Willink has a good run down on it. https://youtu.be/a0OXa02j6dE
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
BDK

Post by BDK »

Vonz, I don’t know.

Yes, his training sucked, but I get hesitating when kids are the backstop.

Hell, maybe cops need specific training in simulators, to let themselves take high risk shots when statistics says they should, but the lawyers will have a field day with it.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

BDK wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:23 pm Vonz, I don’t know.

Yes, his training sucked, but I get hesitating when kids are the backstop.

Hell, maybe cops need specific training in simulators, to let themselves take high risk shots when statistics says they should, but the lawyers will have a field day with it.
Some FATS scenario training would make a lot of sense.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »