How about some hyper inflation

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

How about some hyper inflation

Post by Vonz90 »

Inflation is bad, so let's do more of what caused it 🤔 https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/09/perspect ... index.html
randy

Re: How about some hyper inflation

Post by randy »

To quote Kevin over at The Smallest Minority: "The theory can't be wrong, so we'll do it again harder!"
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Its like they get presented with ideas and solutions and invariably pick the one with the worst possible outcome ..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

/Mr Rogers voice/

Can you say stuck on stupid?

There I knew you could.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

blackeagle603 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:01 pm stuck on stupid?
Yup: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/09/pers ... index.html

Of course it's from CNN, the Jedi Masters of Stupid.

The Stupid is strong in this one.
The administration should ask Congress to authorize a payment of $1,100 per household to pay for four months of higher prices going forward, and provide an option for the president to provide a second or even third check to low-and-moderate income families for an additional four months in the event that prices remain high. We don't know when this crisis is going to end or when prices for essential goods and services will return to more affordable levels.
If it didn't work before, just do it again, harder and faster.
“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/m ... ng-looser/

So anyway, money is getting lower, not tighter. Fed will hBe to get ahead of this and then we will have a recession, or even higher inflation. Fun times.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

National Review wants me to pay to read any more, so no link for me.

Here's "Rebel Capitalist" interviewing "Sovereign Man" on inflation and Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOx7oYtAEns&t=2s

Simon Black (www.sovereignman.com) is a USMA grad and US Army officer. He has an interesting perspective on both inflation and Ukraine because:
1. He owns farms in Chile
2. His wife is Ukrainian and his in-laws still live in Kyev.

Some points on Inflation:
1. Fertilizer is not a big deal. Yes, Russia is a big exporter, but they can get from other sources
2. Carboard boxes are a problem. Packaging material has increased 2x to 3x in the past 3 years, not because of Russian invasion, but because of change of shopping habits brought on by cerveza lockdowns. People used to shop at Walmart. Stuff came on pallets and put onto shelves. Now they come in Amazon delivery trucks with box inside box inside box. I guess that's why Amazon is considered an ESG investment :roll:
3. Supply chain is a problem. A crewman on a container ship is positive for cerveza and the ship can't unload. A ship full of bananas and oranges is rotting just outside of port.

Some points on Ukraine:
1. His wife talks to her relatives in Ukraine every day. They are OK. Nothing like the media portrays.
2. They don't worry about Russian soldiers, they worry about the criminal gangs that Ukraine government just supplied with automatic weapons. Street crime and robberies are way up. Committed by fellow Ukrainians not by Russians.
3. Ukraine is its own worst enemy. They've elected a string of incompetent, corrupt dictators for 20 years, including the latest former stand-up comic.
4. Need to understand goals and objectives. If goal is to extend the conflict as a proxy war against Russia, then US and NATO are doing the right thing. Keep pushing on Vlad and keep sending weapons to Ukraine. If the goal is to end the conflict and bring normalcy to the people of Ukraine, give Putin and Zelinsky a way out and facilitate negotiated settlement. Either the west is dishonest or stupid.
5. His opinion is Vlad is bad, but it's stupid to vilify all Russians.

A short take on censorship:
1. One man's disinformation is another man's truth. Censorship is censorship
2. This country was founded because some people believed another man's disinformation (called "heresies" in those days)
“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:49 pm Hyper stagflation maybe https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/gross-dom ... e-estimate
hmmm...

Real GDP down, but nominal GDP and nominal income both up, with nominal income growth lagging nominal GDP growth.

Yup. Looks like stagflation...

George Gammon gives a good explanation of Brent Johnson's "Dollar Milkshake Theory". This gives another plausible explanation as to why DXY is up so strongly with all the us.gov and Fed efforts to kill it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHPth1xd0A

I read a number of other financial commentators who say the strength of the dollar will lead to deflation. George disagrees and makes a good point: "Don't confuse DXY with CPI". He says they are separate, and you can have DXY going up while CPI is going up. I can see how that can happen. That's an interesting possibility.

One point I don't get is when George says recession will lead to more dollar demand. I don't get that.