Ukraine invasion

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

Re: Ukraine invasion

Post by D5CAV »

HTRN wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:43 am Sure, if it was 1850 and not 2022. :roll:
Crimea was annexed by Russia in 1774 after the Russo-Turkish war, a year before the "Shot heart around the world" on Lexington Green in 1775.

At that time, Texas and California were remote underdeveloped provinces in the Spanish Colonies.

Texas and California became provinces of the Unidos Estados Mexico after the Mexican independence from Spain in 1821.

Texas got their independence from Mexico in 1836, and became the Republic of Texas. They decided to give up their independence and join the United States of America in 1848 (which they regretted a mere 10 years later).

Shortly after the Mexican-American war in 1848, where US got California, Arizona and Nevada, Russia fought off the English for 3 years, the last time they tried to take Crimea, between 1853 and 1856.

After the Bolshevik revolution in 1921, Crimea was run as a separate Soviet State of the USSR until 1954 when Khrushchev took away it's status as a Soviet State and put it under the administration of Ukraine SSR.

After the Maidan coup of 2014, Russia took back control of Crimea, which is more important to the Russian Navy than San Diego is to the USN.

So explain to me again, in the context of 1850 vs. 2022, how USA has better claims on Texas or California than Russia has on Crimea?

I can tell you it's not by language. In 2022 Texas and California have a higher percentage of Spanish speakers than Crimea has of Ukrainian speakers.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:18 am
After the Bolshevik revolution in 1921, Crimea was run as a separate Soviet State of the USSR until 1954 when Khrushchev took away it's status as a Soviet State and put it under the administration of Ukraine SSR.

After the Maidan coup of 2014, Russia took back control of Crimea, which is more important to the Russian Navy than San Diego is to the USN.
When the USSR failed in 1991, leaving Crimea in possession of Ukraine, they lost all claim to it. If they wanted it back, Sending in Mercenaries as "partisans" to stir up shit, then using said strife as an excuse to secure it for "ethnic Russians"(read "Ukrainian Citizens") is typical SOP for Russia, they used the same bullshit excuse in South Ossetia, to steal it from Georgia. In any case, you don't wait THIRTY FUCKING YEARS TO RECOVER "LOST" TERRITORY. :roll:

Face it, Putin is a thug and a tyrant, and is only doing this, because the idea of having a Euro facing Ukraine supplying gas to Europe(crippling one of their big sticks and major financial exports) with NATO troops right on his border by Russia's only warm water Atlantic access port scares them shitless. Why do you think they're attempting to flatten Mariaspol(spelling?), and capture Odessa? They want to ensure that if they can't sieze the entire country(looking increasingly likely), then they can deny them access to the Black sea, because five minutes after this conflict ends, whatever is left of Ukraine is going to join NATO, and Vlad sure as shit doesn't want them having a duck blind to sink the Black sea fleet.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

I thought this was an interesting perspective: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516 ... 54913.html
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

From DCAV5's linked interview: " What disturbs me is that Western leaders started to make decisions without knowing what’s going on and what happened. "

I completely agree with that statement, but it's like he's never observed Western leaders before.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Wow, excellent (long) read.

Those darn linguists... :)

"Cultural uniformity - that's the real goal of Z-war. It is all about directing vernacular bifurcation of the ancient sacred community towards everyone becoming Russian. The problem with Ukraine is that it exists. That's a view deeply embedded in the Russian culture. "
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

randy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:24 pm I thought this was an interesting perspective: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516 ... 54913.html
Interesting! Thanks!

I've done business with Spanish from Catalonia (Barcelona) and Canadians from Quebec (Montreal). My conversations were in English, but they made some comments about Catalan vs. Spanish and Quebecois vs. English that supports that piece.

Those places have as tenuous a "love/hate" relationship with their respective "bigger cousins" as Ukraine and Russia.

All it would take would be a little "diplomatic intervention" and "military aid" to get those two regions to happily accept independence from their larger neighbors.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

US has no ability to track weapons it sends to Ukraine: https://libertarianinstitute.org/news-r ... o-ukraine/

Regarding the $3 billion worth of weapons Uncle Joe is sending to Ukraine:
we have fidelity for a short time, but when it enters the fog of war, we have almost zero. It drops into a big black hole, and you have almost no sense of it at all after a short period of time.
Good news! As stuff "leaks out", maybe Vonz can score some of his Javelins.

I have lower expectations. I'd be happy to score a few cases of M67s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:00 pm Good news! As stuff "leaks out", maybe Vonz can score some of his Javelins.
Maybe one of the Charlie Gs the Canadians sent?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:41 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:35 pm... the other tinfoil hat shit that you have been posting.
Give some examples, tell me which of the facts I cite are incorrect, cite your own facts, and give me your arguments. I'm always interested in a good debate.

Otherwise, I'll assume you have nothing to add to the conversation besides ad hominem insults.
Had a reply half written in my head while I didn't have any time for the forum but I can either waste time arguing about this (which neither of us have any influence over) with you, or I can write about stuff that we both probably find interesting like my 3d printer build, so I concede the field on this one to you because in the end it doesn't matter.

I hope the Ukrainians continue to kill Russians by the boatload until there are none of them left in their country, and will leave it at that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:49 pmHad a reply half written in my head while I didn't have any time for the forum but I can either waste time arguing about this (which neither of us have any influence over) with you, or I can write about stuff that we both probably find interesting like my 3d printer build, so I concede the field on this one to you because in the end it doesn't matter.

I hope the Ukrainians continue to kill Russians by the boatload until there are none of them left in their country, and will leave it at that.
3d printer builds are something I know little about and look forward to learn from you.

Keep it to facts and we will get along fine.

There are those with the opinion that BL should kill all WL, or WL should kill all BL, so your opinion that Ukrainians should kill all Russians is as good as theirs.

That's not an opinion that I share. Frankly, I couldn't pick Ukrainians from Russians from Germans in a lineup, but we can all have our own opinions.