Ukraine invasion

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Ukraine invasion

Post by Vonz90 »

Trump played footsie with Putin but Biden offered up the Ukraine on a platter. (After doing the same to Afghanistan.) Electing buffoons has consequences.

I hope the defend themselves successfully, but don't the can alone.
BDK

Re: Ukraine invasion

Post by BDK »

Francis Marion broke the back of the UK forces. Ukraine will need to do something similar. Straight up battle against that level of disparity will not work.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/def ... -yourself/

Edit, hooray- I can post links again.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...and we talked the Ukranians out of holding their nukes not so long ago. Because why? Trust us?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 pm ...and we talked the Ukranians out of holding their nukes not so long ago. Because why? Trust us?
Because the Ukraine is an unstable kleptocracy run by a strongman who disappears his political opponents, masquerading as a democracy. Basically a smaller, more corrupt version of Russia. If we had left them nukes, they'd wind up in the hands of a non state actor.

Don't get me wrong, Russia is clearly the aggressor here, but like Georgia, and Crimea, it's a case of replacing rule by autocrat, with rule by autocrat 1500 miles away.

Frankly, the fact that Poland, and Estonia came out of the Warsaw pact years with functional government(Poland I attribute to the Catholic church and Lech Walesa, Estonia came from a long history of opposing the Soviets and having a government in exile not run by criminals), is something of a minor miracle.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I read a pretty interesting take on it this morning.

https://lonestarparson.blogspot.com/

And also, when the Soviet Union broke up, the West and the US promised that NATO would not expand to the east... And started breaking that promise pretty much in a matter of days. Presidents of both parties have spent the past 20-30 years breaking that promise. Now they want the Ukraine RIGHT ON RUSSIA's border in NATO. And today Russia is saying "Oh, no you're not."

And Biden gave Russian intel data to CHINA, hopiig they would stop Russia instead of passing the intel to Russia? The country they have a military and economic alliance with? That's a special kind of stupid.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Now they want the Ukraine RIGHT ON RUSSIA's border in NATO. And today Russia is saying "Oh, no you're not."
Yeah, that was never going to be acceptable to Russia.

It's like these "representatives" of ours never read a history book, heard of Napolean or have any understanding of the phrase "Geography is destiny."
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I can't imagine why anyone would want NATO right up on the border of a country that subjugated half of the continent for 50 years.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:06 pm
Now they want the Ukraine RIGHT ON RUSSIA's border in NATO. And today Russia is saying "Oh, no you're not."
Yeah, that was never going to be acceptable to Russia.

It's like these "representatives" of ours never read a history book, heard of Napolean or have any understanding of the phrase "Geography is destiny."
So Russia has occupied and brutalized these places for hundreds of years and want to keep doing it, so you want to give them a veto on those places attempts to protect themselves. Interesting, but I cannot say I agree.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania are direct border countries also nato members.
Left them alone.
Poland and Romania should be really worried right now.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!