Ukraine invasion

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

Re: Ukraine invasion

Post by D5CAV »

Jim Kunstler has his take: https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/the-riptide/

I like Jim, but he tends to be more optimistic that "justice will prevail" than history has proved.
Have you stopped to ask yourself: what exactly are the USA’s interests in Ukraine? The answer: just about none whatsoever
Yeah. Most people are starting to figure this out.
Ukraine was an ATM for “Joe Biden’s” family, an inconvenient embarrassment for the US State Department, which has not been able to cover it up.
Also starting to leak out thanks to Hunter's inconvenient incompetence.
As the military conflict resolves, Ukraine can’t be used by the White House as a shield to divert America’s attention from the political cancer of Biden family corruption, and the systemic illness of the nation’s institutions. Merrick Garland may not be able to contain the open case against Hunter Biden to mere rinky-dink tax violations — and if he tries to limit the US Attorneys in charge of the case, he will be setting himself up for an obstruction of justice rap some months from now. The laptop is out now, too many people have copies of the hard drive, and some are working diligently to make the mess of it more easily searchable. So, expect much more to come.
This is some of Jim's wishful thinking. As someone else pointed out on another thread, I'll believe it when I see indictments.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
randy

Post by randy »

Heh
Moskva.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Upload that to the meme page, stat!
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:10 am Jim Kunstler has his take: https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/the-riptide/

I like Jim, but he tends to be more optimistic that "justice will prevail" than history has proved.
Have you stopped to ask yourself: what exactly are the USA’s interests in Ukraine? The answer: just about none whatsoever
Yeah.
This is nonsense right there. Out interests there are not unlimited but are also rather self evident. Simply the negative interest in not allowing an advantage to a strategic rival for a start.
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 pm Upload that to the meme page, stat!
So Let It Be Written! So Let It Be Done!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Looks like a major Ukrainian counter attack in Karkiv. It has been obvious that the Russians were ripe for counterattack but questionable if the Ukrainians had enough combat power to pull it off. I guess they are at least making a go at it.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... term=first
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

saved by a smart phone?

#QualcommInside?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:38 pm saved by a smart phone?

#QualcommInside?
You know, that if he had been carrying a Nokia 3310, the bullet would have bounced off! :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:29 pmOut interests there are not unlimited but are also rather self evident. Simply the negative interest in not allowing an advantage to a strategic rival for a start.
Wow! According to this guys information and analysis, you may be right. https://thegrayzone.com/2022/04/15/us-e ... o-adviser/

Maybe I was wrong. I thought us.gov was merely stupid. If you and he are correct, us.gov is truly evil to use Ukraine as a pawn this way in their strategic game to weaken Russia.

This is the analyst:
Joining me is Jacques Baud. He has served in a number of senior security and advisory positions at NATO, the UN, and with the Swiss military. He is also a former strategic intelligence officer with the Swiss Strategic Intelligence Service.
He lays out Russia's strategic interest:
you lay out the causes of the Ukraine conflict in three major areas. There is the strategic level, the expansion of NATO; the political level, which is what you call the Western refusal to implement the Minsk agreements; and operationally, the continuous and repeated attacks on the civilian population of the Donbas over the past years and the dramatic increase in late February 2022.
He claims Russia wanted a diplomatic solution:
I think that the Russians always hoped that this conflict could be solved on a political level, in fact; I mean the Minsk agreements and all that.
Then he lays out the trigger events for the invasion:
The first is the decision and the law adopted by [Volodymyr] Zelenskyy in March 2021—that means last year—to reconquer Crimea by force, and that started a build-up of the Russian armored for…not the Russian, [rather] the Ukrainian armored forces in the southern parts of the country.
Wow! I don't remember reading anything about that in the MSM! That would be like Mexico adopting a law to reconquer Texas or California by force!

March 2021 was right after Uncle Joe took office. We all know Zelinsky is on the leash of the us.gov State Department. So who "green-lit" that idea?

Then the second trigger event:
They were aware that an operation was to be launched against the Republics of the Donbas, but they did not know when, and, of course, they were just observing that, and then came the real trigger.

I think it was on the 16th of February—Joe Biden, during a press conference, told that he knew that the Russians would attack.
So how would old Uncle Joe know that?
I think nobody thought that the Russians would attack Ukraine. So, there must have been something that made Biden aware that the Russians would attack. And this something, in fact, is the intensification of the artillery shelling of the Donbas starting on the 16th of February, and this increase in the shelling was observed, in fact, by the [Border] Observer Mission of the OSCE [Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe], and they recorded this increase of violation, and it’s a massive violation. I mean, we are talking about something that is about 30 times more than what it used to be, because the last eight years you had a lot of violations from both sides, by the way. But suddenly on the 16th of February you had a massive increase of violation on the Ukrainian side. So, for the Russians, Vladimir Putin in particular, that was the sign that the operation—the Ukrainian operation—was about to start.
I don't remember reading about this increase in shelling in the MSM either. I saw this before in a video (not on YouTube) of Vlad Putin answering questions to a group. My Russian is very rusty, like "Grafenwoehr 1990" rusty, so it took me a few listens to get what Vlad was saying.

One of the questions was "why was it necessary to invade Ukraine at this time". Vlad actually said it was because they saw the significant increase in artillery bombardment of the Donbass, which signaled the beginning of an invasion.

Of course he portrayed it as a "humanitarian" effort to protect the residents of Donbass from "ethnic cleansing". One man's "ethnic cleansing" is another man's "de-Nazification program". I didn't bother sharing that video because (1) I knew it would get s### over as "Putin Propaganda" (which it was, but at least he was more articulate and took some hard questions, unlike Uncle Joe), and (2) it was in Russian.

Then he explains why there hasn't been a diplomatic solution yet:
I think the West—and I would say the Americans and the British didn’t want this peace to occur. And of course, the Germans and the French who were the guarantors of the Minsk agreement for the Ukrainian side, they never really implemented this
OK, so that is passive inaction, how about active action?
you may remember that at the end of February, as soon as Zelenskyy indicated that he might be willing to start negotiations, this was the time where these negotiations were to take place in Belarus. Within hours after Zelenskyy decided that, the European Union came with a decision providing for half a billion arms to Ukraine, meaning that the Americans, certainly, but I think the West as a whole, made every possible effort to prevent a political solution to the conflict, and I think the Russians are aware of that.
Yeah, that's pretty active.

Here's where he lays out the same strategic interest Vonz alluded to:
By the way, they know that, probably, because, as you know, this physical war that we witness now is part of a broader war that was started years ago against Russia, and I think, in fact, Ukraine is just…I mean, nobody is interested in Ukraine, I think. The target, the aim, the objective is to weaken Russia, and once it will be done with Russia, they will do the same with China
So Ukraine is just a pawn in the new "Great Game".
Now, the name of the game is weakening Russia, and you know that there have been several studies done by the Rand Corporation on extending Russia, overextending Russia
Yeah, the Rand Corporation was parodied in "Dr. Strangelove". Truly evil.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 amThat would be like Mexico adopting a law to reconquer Texas or California by force!
Sure, if it was 1850 and not 2022. :roll:

The difference is, Mexico invited in those "idiot gringos" from "La Norte" as a buffer population between the Local indians, who were causing problems, and the "Arristos" ruling the country, and the peasants working it. Unfortunately, said Arristos thought they can make the new gringos lie down and eat shit, like they were doing to the peasants, seeing them as just another under class, while many, of the settlers came from the Southern US, who viewed most non whites with contempt, especially ones who thought they were in charge. In both cases, it was a case of idiot Mexican governor's behaving like thug s, during a tenuous time in Mexico, and the wealthy white ranchers giving them the finger.

Crimea, in the other hand, was Russia slipping in mercenaries into Crimea to stir up trouble, as an excuse to secure Crimea to "stabilize" the region for "ethnic Russians" living there. It's not like it was really about securing the Taman strait, guaranteeing Atlantic access for their only warm water Atlantic port. If they didn't secure it, blockading the strait, or hell, dropping the bridge over it into it, would effectively kill the Black sea fleet. Now their trying to take most of Eastern Ukraine, to deter neutral countries from joining NATO, grabbing up all those newly discovered oil and gas fields there, because G*d forbid there's an alternative to Russian LNG for Europe, they'd no longer have something to force Germany and Central Europe to capitulate with!, And finally, it sends a message of "If you replace a Russian puppet(Viktor Medvedchuk) with a Western puppet(Zelinsky),, bad things will happen". In fact, on of the conditions Putin demanded for a ceasefire, was the insistance of "denazification"(roughly translated as "removal of any politician who doesn't bend over instantly for Putin"), with Zelinsky to be arrested and tried in Russia, that is, if the Russian death squads don't simply kill him on sight.
Last edited by HTRN on Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.