Worst inflation in 40 years

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: Worst inflation in 40 years

Post by HTRN »

HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:00 pmI m guessing it will drop below 4 bucks a gallon locally at the Costco by late next week.
Just checked GasBuddy, and that Costco is now $3.89.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Here in SoCal 5.65/gal for diesel at the Rez never looked so good. $6+ anywhere in town.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

One YouTuber who drives a Semi just did a video complaining somebody at a Truck stop siphoned his tanks at a Truck stop when he was away from the Semi...

I'm also hearing of alot more cases of punctured gas tanks by junkies stealing fuel. Between that and the Catalytic converter thefts...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

scipioafricanus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:16 am
Jericho941 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 am I'll believe in inflation when corporations stop posting record profits.
I don't think you know what inflation means, then.
I know you don't know what inflation means, then.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:17 am
scipioafricanus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:16 am
Jericho941 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 am I'll believe in inflation when corporations stop posting record profits.
I don't think you know what inflation means, then.
I know you don't know what inflation means, then.
Scipio is correct. Short term we have very loose money, that benefits a lot of industries which is driving profit growth (AKA a bubble most likely).

Medium to long term, either the Fed will have to choke out the inflation with tighter money or inflation will keep spiraling- either of which will knock down profits a lot, although in different ways.

Looking at inflation and profits over time, you will see periods of high profits with high inflation, they just tank after a bit.

So the short answer is that it is not surprising and not sustainable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I tend to lean more toward the "inflation" camp, however, there are some smart guys who say "deflation": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRf7m5UPrg

Another view, FWIW
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe