Worst inflation in 40 years

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

Re: Worst inflation in 40 years

Post by D5CAV »

Aunt Nancy says rising prices is because of the big, bad, Putin, but then she comes up with this bit of wisdom:
When we’re having this discussion, it’s important to dispel some of those who say, well it’s the government spending. No, it isn’t. The government spending is doing the exact reverse, reducing the national debt. It is not inflationary.
Wow! Words fail me.

How about that spending reducing the national debt?
Government spending and Fed stimulus has tripled the size of our national debt in less than 14 years. And, of course, inflation has spiked as the amount of dollars injected into the global system causes the buying power of our currency to decline dramatically. More fiat dollars equals less buying power. This is reality.
And how about big, bad Putin causing all of our inflation?
Russian crude oil only makes up 3% of US imports. Therefore, there is no way that sanctions on Russian oil are the cause of rising prices, nor do these sanctions have any effect on the Kremlin. Inflation was hitting 40 year highs back in December of last year, well before the war in Ukraine.
Unfortunately, I disagree with Brandon on one point, even though Aunt Nancy's propaganda is full of holes, the American people still believe it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Jericho941 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 am I'll believe in inflation when corporations stop posting record profits.
I don't think you know what inflation means, then.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

scipioafricanus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:16 am
Jericho941 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:29 am I'll believe in inflation when corporations stop posting record profits.
I don't think you know what inflation means, then.
Well said.
randy

Post by randy »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:16 am Aunt Nancy says rising prices is because of the big, bad, Putin, but then she comes up with this bit of wisdom:
When we’re having this discussion, it’s important to dispel some of those who say, well it’s the government spending. No, it isn’t. The government spending is doing the exact reverse, reducing the national debt. It is not inflationary.
Wow! Words fail me.
The appropriate words were written decades ago:

War Is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

And a favorite of the Democratic Party:

Ignorance is Strength
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

randy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:10 pmThe appropriate words were written decades ago:

War Is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

And a favorite of the Democratic Party:

Ignorance is Strength
Here's some new words from Klaus "Dr. Evil" Schwab's organization: https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-fina ... ustainable

Take the bus
Don't buy in bulk
Eat lentils

economist Teresa Ghilarducci, recommends that families earning under $300,000 per year consider switching to public transportation, embracing a veggie diet, and "rethink those costly pet medical needs."

Ms. Ghilarducci works for an organization affiliated with "Dr. Evil's" WEF, which also advocates:
...World Economic Forum (WEF) - which, in addition to bragging about having 'infiltrated' various world governments - infamously suggested that people get used to eating bugs due to inevitable food shortages
So because of government lockdowns for the cerveza flu, and all the sanctions against the biggest exporter of wheat and one of the biggest exporters of fertilizer, "we" are going to have to...

Eat bugs

Oh yeah, those "public servants" in Washington, DC who all make over $300,000 per year, they still get to eat steak, but "we" have to make some "sacrifices".

Hey, what happened to that "public servant" who said "If they don't have bread, then let them eat cake."

Yeah, "red thoughts" again...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Ironically(?) this will further boost regenerative ag and pastured meat. The price gap between industrial CAFO meat and pastured has closed considerably in the past couple years. CAFO has increased and pastured hasn't moved much. Makes sense the way Joel Salatin explains it -- cost of inputs for pastured hasn't gone up like it has for the fuel and fertilzer intensive CAFO feed operations.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
g-man

Post by g-man »

Pastured is climbing fairly quickly as well. Just put a ~230lb side of beef in the freezer and went ahead and dropped the deposit on another whole animal for pickup in December to lock in this year's price. We'll end up splitting it with someone, just needed to get the price locked in before it inevitably goes up again. Went with grain finished, and I imagine the price of that will escalate more quickly than the 100% grass-fed stuff, which is already 30% +/- more expensive already. With brisket being $3.99/lb on sale (really ~$4.50/lb after trimming ), getting it in bulk at $5.47/lb (which is more for brisket but WAY less for rib roast, sirloins, and filet...) is a pretty good deal, and most importantly, WE HAVE IT. On hand. I was SO grateful that we had the bison laid up in the fridge when COVID first hit, since that allowed SWMBO to grab the occasional bag of chicken when it was available, but have plenty of protein on hand. Between that, the chickens (layers, not meat), and the 'Victory' garden, we're ahead of most. There's a bunch of folks at church on the same page, which is a nice place to be.

Real debate now is between just paying off as much debt as possible, or swapping the paid-off Flex out for a RV-towing capable Expedition. If I can get a couple things paid off in short order, I might jump at something before things get really stupid. However, there is something to be said for having stuff paid off.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

g-man wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:30 pmReal debate now is between just paying off as much debt as possible, or swapping the paid-off Flex out for a RV-towing capable Expedition. If I can get a couple things paid off in short order, I might jump at something before things get really stupid. However, there is something to be said for having stuff paid off.
I suspect a lot of F350s and Expeditions will be for sale a lot cheaper when unleaded regular is $30 per gallon.

Of course, there may be some "inflation" in car prices as well.

Or buy this car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-U6-kJRzI&t=4s

And trade it for an F350 or Expedition when gas is $30 :lol:
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 pm And trade it for an F350 or Expedition when gas is $30 :lol:
If gas gets to $30/gal it is because WW3 is going on or the .gov wants it to be. There is a lot of untapped oil and gas out there both here and in other countries.

Also, over about $4/gal coal gasification makes sense economically. The reason no one is building coal to petroleum refineries is that when oil drops again you have a very large expensive white elephant.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I would point out that the price of gas is already starting to fall, with the spot price of oil now back under a hundred a barrel.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt