Gold Standard ?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Re: Gold Standard ?

Post by blackeagle603 »

In other news, a Big Mac backed coin. ;)
Those coins can be collected, shared, or redeemed for a free Big Mac between August 3 and the end of the year.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

In the end crypto currencies are nothing more than a pyramid scheme that requires ever more stickers to pay off early investors.
I suppose you could make that observation about fiat but if it all goes to hell at least you can wipe your ass with fiat.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
BDK

Post by BDK »

A gold standard is inherently deflationary - much of the economic boom after 1492 was the boom in the money supply. By definition, any physical standard is. (Bitcoin is deflationary, by design, TMK.)

And, as a general rule, yes, all commodities get cheaper, faster than inflation. Market competition constantly drives innovation to lower costs. Barring when things break, those market forces are faster than inflation.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

In the end crypto currencies are nothing more than a pyramid scheme that requires ever more stickers to pay off early investors.

remind me again how much worse that is than the USD? /asking for a friend/

...and nevermind coins like BTC are limited in total qty to be produced. How does that fit with the pyramid scheme analogy.
<Not arguing -- am enquiring, seeking better understanding>
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
evan price

Post by evan price »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:50 pm

remind me again how much worse that is than the USD? /asking for a friend/

...and nevermind coins like BTC are limited in total qty to be produced. How does that fit with the pyramid scheme analogy.
<Not arguing -- am enquiring, seeking better understanding>
Crypto is the labor theory of value expressed literally.
"I expended so much resources doing random computing that I gave it a name and claim its worth something."

Pyramid scheme because the only way to make money is to convince other people that it will be worth more money later. And so on.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Pyramid scheme because the only way to make money is to convince other people that it will be worth more money later. And so on.
So the question still remains... how does that differ from the USD? Other than the unbroken history of the USD losing value over time.

I'm totally good with Big Mac coins in the meantime -- at least til August 3rd.
I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.

BDK

Post by BDK »

Fiat is backed by the military ability, and resources of the central govt.
evan price

Post by evan price »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pm
So the question still remains... how does that differ from the USD? Other than the unbroken history of the USD losing value over time.

I'm totally good with Big Mac coins in the meantime -- at least til August 3rd.
I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.
My statement still stands about the labor theory of value related to crypto.

And with fiat when it collapses you can still wipe your ass with it. Crypto you've got nothing.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pmOther than the unbroken history of the USD losing value over time.
All currencies devalue over time, it's called inflation.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

And with fiat when it collapses you can still wipe your ass with it. Crypto you've got nothing.
:lol: Evan FTW