Harry Truman

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Harry Truman

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix

Re: Harry Truman

Post by Weetabix »

Well, that's just sad. But, I guess he WAS a politician whose lips sometimes moved.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

MacArthur was right again.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:38 pm https://jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby073021.php3

Was a liar.
To point out that he was also a democrat would be redundant.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Truman's buck stops here, was actually referring to his pocket.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

It is actually not particularly surprising, he came to prominence as part of the mob connected Kansas city Democrat machine, so it is likely not the first time he pocketed some cash.
randy

Post by randy »

You don't think FDR would have picked an honest man to be VP do you?

But he did nuke Japan, twice, so I'm inclined to give him a pass on this one.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Leaving this here just because I can
When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Well, he must not have been as good at pocketing extra cash lying around as, say, President Biden, then. A pension for the former Presidents was proposed and enacted into law in the fifties, and supposedly Herbert Hoover accepted it so Harry Truman wouldn't think it was a charity for him, even though Hoover was a millionaire mining engineer from before his days as President, and even before he was what Calvin Coolidge contemptuously referred to as "The Boy Wonder."

After he lost to Eisenhower, Truman supposely went back to Missouri and was living in his Mother-in-Law's house until someone found out and proposed the pension.

On the other hand, he was regularly referred to as "The Senator from Pendergast."
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Windy Wilson wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:51 pm Well, he must not have been as good at pocketing extra cash lying around as, say, President Biden, then. A pension for the former Presidents was proposed and enacted into law in the fifties, and supposedly Herbert Hoover accepted it so Harry Truman wouldn't think it was a charity for him, even though Hoover was a millionaire mining engineer from before his days as President, and even before he was what Calvin Coolidge contemptuously referred to as "The Boy Wonder."

After he lost to Eisenhower, Truman supposely went back to Missouri and was living in his Mother-in-Law's house until someone found out and proposed the pension.

On the other hand, he was regularly referred to as "The Senator from Pendergast."
Truman did not lose to Eisenhower. He did not run for reelection because he knew he would lose. Eisenhower defeated Adlai Stevenson.