Black Powder revolver shortage ?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
randy

Re: Black Powder revolver shortage ?

Post by randy »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:13 pm Got a 30 year work anniversary coming up this week, the 8th. Does that make it a BAG day?
Yes

Of course the answer to that question is always "yes". ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Al I have it an Italian replica 1851 brass frame my Dad bought me decades ago. It was a lot of fun shooting out in the desert outside Las Vegas but its a two hour drive to anywhere I can shoot it now. Wonder if my 35 year old pyrodex, caps, and Goex are still any good...

Take revolver, load powder, load wonder wad, pour in tiny shot (#9 or smaller), cap with wonder wad or grease.

Then have gullible observer flip a coin into the air 2-3 feet in front of the muzzle and ping it out of the air. Amusing and fun but past 5-6 feet the pattern is really sparse and ring shaped.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Al I have it an Italian replica 1851 brass frame my Dad bought me decades ago. It was a lot of fun shooting out in the desert outside Las Vegas but its a two hour drive to anywhere I can shoot it now. Wonder if my 35 year old pyrodex, caps, and Goex are still any good...

Take revolver, load powder, load wonder wad, pour in tiny shot (#9 or smaller), cap with wonder wad or grease.

Then have gullible observer flip a coin into the air 2-3 feet in front of the muzzle and ping it out of the air. Amusing and fun but past 5-6 feet the pattern is really sparse and ring shaped.
toad

Post by toad »

Hmmm, when I get better financially I want to pick up a Remington 1858 . There used to be a stainless model , I don't recall who made it ?
toad

Post by toad »

1858 Remington . I like the top strap . I think someone made one in stainless but I can't remember who ?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A commonly mentioned advantage of the Remington type is the ability to carry a spare cylinder as a reload, but I have a friend at work who has done NSSA type re-enacting, and he mentioned that in practice that isn't/wasn't really a thing due to need to have spare cylinders timed to the revolver, etc. It was also my understanding that the practice among guerillas, etc during the war was to carry 3 or 4 loaded revolvers on their person during raids/combat.

My reasoning behind wanting a Dragoon Colt (replica) is that it could be considered a period accurate (aka pre-Civil War/percussion era) companion to my Great Plains Rifle (or a .58 rifle if/when I get one), but is a little more practical for actual use than something like a Paterson or Walker. They make a single shot Great Plains pistol, but to my way of thinking the revolver makes more sense, because they were available during the time that percussion rifles were really a thing, and if you could get one you'd rather have it than a single shot. The single shot pistol makes more sense if you are going flintlock.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

There was a Southern cavalry leader by the name of Mosby who had his troopers carry anywhere from four to six revolvers . He actually ordered them not to carry swords . It was interesting that he served under orders of "Marque and Reprisal " and funded his troops with anything he could steal and carry. His tactics were admired by George Patton .
I think you can still get a tool to make percussion caps from aluminum cans . I I R C you could load them with the stuff from paper caps. I'd be real careful when stuffing percussion caps. Preferably using a lever to drive the loading piston from behind a wall.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I don't know if you can still get that tool, but I have one that I bought over 25 years ago. The caps look a little funny but they work.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

@Netpackrat ... pics for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

And more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig