Liberal learns the hard way that nature trumps nurture

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Aglifter

Re: Liberal learns the hard way that nature trumps nurture

Post by Aglifter »

workinwifdakids wrote:As an adoptive parent of two, the nature/nurture argument is always on my mind. There is so much about my daughters that I don't know, but what's your point? That they would've been better off as orphans, or that we're fools for adding nurture to nature?
No, w. an adoptive parent, they have an excellent chance of developing fine -- it's the foster kid program which is a disaster.

My point was that the religion based systems had a much better record than the foster care system/current secular systems -- your adopted children are your children, not orphans.

Although, IMO, it would be useful for you to know the genetic history of your children's biological parents -- EG, my family has to be tested to see if we're carriers for something called Leyden Factor 5 -- by knowing to be tested for it, if we do have it, we can take some medication, and be perfectly healthy.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

FelixEstrella wrote:Bingo. There's a reason the clergy are not allowed to have sex or bring children into this world; it's so they can focus their energy on God and his creations.
That's the reason they've always claimed, but without heirs, and many priests up until a coupla centuries ago coming from well to do families, the church's coffers would stand to grow by this policy.. And no, it's not a coincidence.

I know someone who got taken to court by the local diocese over her inheriting some real estate from a RC priest. Apparently, the "vow of poverty" now includes a legal binding contract.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

CombatController wrote:Allow me to put a general warning out there for those who don't know me very well. I abhor racism, and will stomp on anyone who I feel is being deliberately racist.
CC, I agree with MLK's "I have a dream" speech in which is wishes for a world where a man is judged by "his character and not the color of his skin". I try to do this with every person I meet.

However, I do not deny reality. You have in your tagline a ding on statistics. Statistics do not mark an individual, but they do give a measure of reality. To deny this means you will bet on a straight flush every time in Las Vegas (and lose 99.99% of the time).

The UC System used to track racial statistics. The UC Schools (the top tier of schools in CA) are 70% asian, in a state that is about 15% asian. Even so, the difference between asian, white, hispanic and black SAT scores is about 400 points (about a 100 point spread between each ethnic group).

Africa is a place dominated by violent thugs. True, there are people like Desmond Tutu, and there are people trying to live a quiet a peaceful life, but the ones that seem to breed are the violent thugs, because that is what the societies there reward. If you find an abandoned infant in Africa, odds are that this is the offspring of a violent thug that probably impregnated the mother by force.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe