Bicyclist Meets Darwin After Running Red Light

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
1991A1

Re: Bicyclist Meets Darwin After Running Red Light

Post by 1991A1 »

I commute 120 miles round-trip on most days. I pay gas taxes. I own 2 cars, a truck and a camp trailer. I pay fees for those.

It sounds like you have a problem with Chicago cyclists and you have a Chicago solution-more fees. I could make a generic comment but....
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Actually, once the roads are in place for motor vehicles, bike use is incidental. When modern roadways are built, they need enough width for utilities and communications, and dropping them along the side of the road and putting bike lanes over the top is a far cheaper solution in the long run than putting them down the middle of the road.

Every time something needs to be repaired or serviced, they no longer have to disrupt car and truck traffic to do so. It's MUCH easier and cheaper to route bicycle traffic than it is motor vehicle traffic.

If we can get bicycle traffic away from car traffic, and do it cheaply, I would prefer more of them take to the bike lanes and do whatever possible to encourage them to do so. I certainly wouldn't license or charge them a fee, they're helping keep car traffic down and extending the life of my roads. Large numbers of bicyclists and cars DO NOT mix well.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Frankly, bikes should be put on sidewalks -- a heck of a lot more people ride, than walk, aside from city centers. They don't wear modern roads in any fashion.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

I vacation every summer just outside of Michigan City IN. Lots of the vacation homes are owned by Chicago area types with money problems I'd love to have. One morning this summer I almost took out three yuppie bicyclers in their best imitation Lance Armstrong yellow lycra. Evidently the stop signs on the shore drive don't apply to those of certain classes who are trying to burn off the previous night's cheese and wine. I got to the stop sign first, saw them coming, I started moving and then stopped when I thought that they were going to blow the sign, and they went by like I wasn't even there. Guess my Oldsmobile wasn't noticeable enough for them, maybe I'll upgrade to a BMW...

That's why we're always telling the 6 year old nephew to stop at stop signs.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Bob K wrote:If they're going to use the public roads, that I pay for with gas taxes, personal license fees, and vehicle license fees, then they should do the same.
The road is for cars and they need to stay the fuck out of it. Here in Anchorage, we've got this vagrant looking asshole who tows an extra wide home built trailer with his bicycle in city traffic. When he's out, the traffic is totally screwed up as people are forced to merge into the next lane to get around him. I think most drivers look forward to the day somebody pastes him, so long as it isn't them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

My experience is that they are effing bloody dumb. Out here in the sticks, there's a main road that's windy, there's maybe 18 inches of shoulder, and the speed limit is 50 MPH. Oh, and there's a nice drop-off for much of it as well.

I've seen people riding bikes on the shoulder.

Talk about taking your life into your hands.

I also hate the ones that ride down the road when there's no room.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I agree with the folks who say bicyclists should share the sidewalk with the pedestrians. Sorry, but a half-ton (at the minimum) vehicile made of metal against your (most likely) less than 300lb fleshy self is going to loose.

I also hate people who run in the street when there's a perfectly good sidewalk.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Bob K wrote:I have long regarded bicyclists as parasites.

They use the road. They pay no taxes. They are not licensed.

F**k 'em.
Easy now fella. I'm a bicyclist. I also own a car and drive, pay taxes, etc. etc.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Netpackrat wrote: The road is for cars and they need to stay the fuck out of it.
Funny. I thought roads were for transportation.

This thread makes me very sad! And has soured my opinion of a few posters. :cry:
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
1991A1

Post by 1991A1 »

Wouldn't it be great if it was a free country were we were able to ride our bicycles without recrimination?

Maybe someday.