Flattening the Curve: Overrated?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Jered

Re: Flattening the Curve: Overrated?

Post by Jered »

Don't forget that the Chicoms have been lying about this literally since they discovered this disease.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

and now folks hypothesizing it's been present in CA since fall building local herd immunity. Which could explain the "California Paradox" of lower spread rates. Inspite of major international entry point from China. Something like 8000/day arrive from China in CA in normal times.
MONTEREY, Calif. —
Researchers at Stanford Medicine are working to find out what proportion of Californians have already had COVID-19. The new study could help policymakers make more informed decisions during the coronavirus pandemic.

The team tested 3,200 people at three Bay Area locations on Saturday using an antibody test for COVID-19 and expect to release results in the coming weeks. The data could help to prove COVID-19 arrived undetected in California much earlier than previously thought.

The hypothesis that COVID-19 first started spreading in California in the fall of 2019 is one explanation for the state's lower than expected case numbers.

As of Tuesday, the state had 374 reported COVID-19 fatalities in a state of 40 million people, compared to New York which has seen 14 times as many fatalities and has a population half that...

RTWT
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

Frankly, it won’t matter, to an extent. I get the argument for flattening the curve - and I really hope the serum, etc helps.

The Pitt team* is probably going to deserve a Nobel prize for the method of vaccination they came up with, but this year it will probably go to whomever comes up with the vaccine. (No idea if theirs will work, but it’s brilliant.)

I think we will get a vaccine sooner. We have related diseases, and I think the FDA’s bureaucracy realizes they might be thrown to the mob, if they do their usual incompetent song and dance.

*The Pitt process appears to be fast enough to scale, that an influenza vaccine could be distributed in time to fight the outbreak. Hopefully, their process also works on the Wuhan disease, but it looks like a real game changer for influenza.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:44 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 pm The person who programmed the "funny" no longer has access to undo it. :roll:
I can take a look at turning that off if we have agreement that it's time has passed.
It was funny at the time, but I think it’s past it’s discard by date.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:14 am
randy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:44 pm

I can take a look at turning that off if we have agreement that it's time has passed.
It was funny at the time, but I think it’s past it’s discard by date.
AAesop is being his usually asshole self over on his own blog. Shit, he even called me "Gilligan" for linking the Tucker Carlson clip. He's slowly loosing his supporters, it appears.
Karma is a bitch that way......... ;)

Shame, too, because he has a lot of good info.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

This is interesting: Ivermectin may inhibit the replication of COVID-19 in vitro

I think Eldest Daughter has some in her animal medicine fridge.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
randy

Post by randy »

Testing: Aesop
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Just don't say his name two more times or he may appear... ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm Just don't say his name two more times or he may appear... ;)
^ Now that is funny! :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:07 pm Just don't say his name two more times or he may appear... ;)
I kind of doubt that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop