Diblasio decides that more restaurants need to go under...

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Diblasio decides that more restaurants need to go under...

Post by HTRN »

Because he just banned propane heaters for outdoor dining this coming winter. :roll:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/nycs-new- ... scene/amp/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Re: Diblasio decides that more restaurants need to go under...

Post by Vonz90 »

:lol: I am okay with that (my company makes electric ones)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 pm :lol: I am okay with that (my company makes electric ones)
Read the article - the only way that they'll be able to use electric heaters is if the use extension cords, and considering the size of most of the temporary structures, it isn't going to very much, as well as creating a trip hazard on the sidewalk, and possibly a fire hazard.

There were ZERO incidents with the propane heaters last winter, despite being used in hundreds of those shacks in Manhattan last winter.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:48 pm
Vonz90 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:04 pm :lol: I am okay with that (my company makes electric ones)
Read the article - the only way that they'll be able to use electric heaters is if the use extension cords, and considering the size of most of the temporary structures, it isn't going to very much, as well as creating a trip hazard on the sidewalk, and possibly a fire hazard.

There were ZERO incidents with the propane heaters last winter, despite being used in hundreds of those shacks in Manhattan last winter.
First of all, I was joking. I would have thought that was obvious. (Shrug)

Secondly, you can use the electric ones in those applications, but the propane ones are easier, which is why they have most of that market. The electric ones own the hard installed market though. To set up for outdoor eating, you really need to hard wire them, which means hiring an electrician, but it can be done.

But that is probably why DiBlaso did it. It is a sop to the unions because the restaurants will have to hire contractors to set it up, and probably pay for a city inspection too.
BDK

Post by BDK »

What if they channel the fine old NYC spirit of the 79s and 80s and tell them to “F off.”
BDK

Post by BDK »

/this really won’t stop until someone ends up decorating a lamp post…
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm But that is probably why DiBlaso did it. It is a sop to the unions because the restaurants will have to hire contractors to set it up, and probably pay for a city inspection too.
You can "hard wire" them into the structure, but how is the structure going to get power? These things are on public streets more often than not.

https://youtu.be/FNMJf_VMK8o

The rest are on public sidewalks.

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:22 am
Vonz90 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm But that is probably why DiBlaso did it. It is a sop to the unions because the restaurants will have to hire contractors to set it up, and probably pay for a city inspection too.
You can "hard wire" them into the structure, but how is the structure going to get power? These things are on public streets more often than not.

https://youtu.be/FNMJf_VMK8o

The rest are on public sidewalks.
You can run it on the ground and cover it with a temporary walkway or overhead wiring especially if the are using an awning or tent ona frame. Neither is all that elegant, but it works.