Electric buses

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Electric buses

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... -bus-2.php

Oddly enough, the laws of physics still apply.
HTRN

Re: Electric buses

Post by HTRN »

Best thing would be a combination of battery packs and overhead electric in a trolley bus.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:33 pm Best thing would be a combination of battery packs and overhead electric in a trolley bus.
That's basically the system the local RTA has had in effect for years in it's urban service areas. They originally had hybrid buses with diesel engines to jump between areas with no overhead lines. In the last few years they were switching to the battery/overhead system. I retired from my last job and no longer go downtown, so I don't know how well they are working out.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

Compressed natural gas powered buses would work well.

Methane burns extremely clean, and centralized refueling stations are a natural for city buses.

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/28377.pdf
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Moot points all of them. You're up against a belief system.

EV good. EV save the world. At any cost to environment must stop any and all use of fossil fuels.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm Moot points all of them. You're up against a belief system.

EV good. EV save the world. At any cost to environment must stop any and all use of fossil fuels.
Except nuclear, it is bad bad bad, for some reason or another...
Precision

Post by Precision »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm
blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 pm Moot points all of them. You're up against a belief system.

Except nuclear, it is bad bad bad, for some reason or another...
yup
the only ONLY way electric can work now is with good clean NUKIE power. Otherwise, well preaching to the choir, but you are just off loading your fossil fuel burning to a coal / propane plant instead of an in vehicle ICE. And don't even start with the pollution cycle of the batteries required and the fires when there is a crash in those battery powered vehicles and recycling those batteries (if you can / they bother).
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

regardless, the US (and western Europe) could completely zero out carbon emissions and with China's CO2 and India's rapidly growing output it would make not a bit of signficance.

CO2 is the stuff of life. It's silliness that we are focused on this red herring while actual first order effects/problems go unnoticed. e.g. topsoil is being nuked with chemicals and washed away from industrial monocropping and we're demonizing meat when it's eating meat from regenerative grazing and returnin got low/no till "prairies" is more likely to be of long term value.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:04 pm China's CO2
China alone is responsible for 30% of the world's CO2 output. They're the largest producer by a wide margin. The US is number#2, at less than half what China puts out, and is rapidly dropping down the chart. India is #3 at half of the US, but is rapidly climbing.

If you go by per Capita, the US is #9, and Qutar is #1.

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emiss ... y-country/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

The soviets had something that looked like an electric bus, powered by overhead lines, which I THINK I remember seeing make turns and go from one set of lines to another.