Taxation is theft - advanced version

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Precision

Taxation is theft - advanced version

Post by Precision »

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/01/24/w ... the-state/

Per this article - CA is planning on creating a tax of 1.5% on all state of CA billionaires regardless of where the money resides
They plan to after the first 2 years drop the bar to anyone with a net worth of $50 million at 1%.

I get that they can (in theory) tax their residents anyway they pass a law.
BUT
how can they tax those who USED to live in CA?

What stops them from taxing sumdood who never lived there, if they can tax you perpetually even after you move?

The other thing is taxing worth, not earning / income. That is a huge departure to the negative.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Re: Taxation is theft - advanced version

Post by Netpackrat »

Not the first time CA has tried something like this. A few years ago, they tried taxing retirees who had moved out of state. IIRC, SCOTUS smacked them down pretty hard on that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Back in the 80s they were supposedly taxing folks (especially folks retiring from the .mil) that returned from overseas and out processed at a CA base as residents even if they immediately departed the state after out processing, and would do so until they reported establishing residency in another state.

I never heard how/when they resolved that, but I'm pretty sure they got slapped down.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

I mean it does show they are running out of other people's money and need to increase the width of the pool as the depth is self depleting. But, damn they are balsy and just goes to show we need penalties for willful lawmaking that is contra to the Constitution. Personal liability for politicos
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The CA Franchise Tax Board is not actually the goverment. They are more like an agency that has been granted a letter of marque to go after revenue.

New Testament tax collectors come to mind.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 pm how can they tax those who USED to live in CA?.
Because until some court tells them "No", they can do what they like.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Maybe they are going to do it like some of those states that have red light / speeding cameras that don't actually have any enforcement. They just send you a ticket in the mail but can't make you pay it. I wonder if they send it to collections eventually and use your credit score to punish you for not paying.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cobar wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm Maybe they are going to do it like some of those states that have red light / speeding cameras that don't actually have any enforcement. They just send you a ticket in the mail but can't make you pay it. I wonder if they send it to collections eventually and use your credit score to punish you for not paying.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

They'll seize your bank accounts and issue a warrant for your arrest.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

It would not surprise me. It is CA.

I guess thinking that CA might actually consider that they don't actually have the power to do something was stupid on my part. :lol:
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

... SANDAG (San Diego Area governments) has put forward a plan for a $.04/mile mileage tax.

Yeah that's not regressive at all. All those service workers on long commutes from low cost areas in South Bay? Let them eat cake.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story