NY gun law overturned

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
BDK

Re: NY gun law overturned

Post by BDK »

See, I could see a “special environment” case standing.

Short-barreled 50BMGs are probably not appropriate for Manhattan.

Bit like restrictions on amplified speech, etc - but it would have to maximize the right of the person, to the extent society can tolerate.

EG, you cannot speak through 200db speakers at 3 AM in a residential neighborhood, but you can talk during normal hours.
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:59 pm See, I could see a “special environment” case standing.

Short-barreled 50BMGs are probably not appropriate for Manhattan.

Bit like restrictions on amplified speech, etc - but it would have to maximize the right of the person, to the extent society can tolerate.

EG, you cannot speak through 200db speakers at 3 AM in a residential neighborhood, but you can talk during normal hours.
why should there be an issue with owning a 50 BMG in Manhattan. Discharging it, now that I understand outside of a very well deadened shooting range.

I am sure we will be fighting each dumb (on purpose) obstruction law for a while. But if we are lucky a judge will eventually strike the effort down. The other thing is we shouldn't have to fight like this. The left doesn't.
I know, they have the elite retards on their side.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Precision wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:13 pm why should there be an issue with owning a 50 BMG in Manhattan. Discharging it, now that I understand outside of a very well deadened shooting range.
My post wasn’t unclear. I meant keeping one, loaded, for home defense.

Might be just the thing for rural Alaska - well, if a suppressor could prevent one from permanently deafening you, if you fire one inside a room.

I realize it wouldn’t be enforceable, but I could see laws about not loading one inside a high rise, etc MIGHT pass strict scrutiny.

Maybe not. Strict scrutiny is a very high standard.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I am all about go big or go home.
Property defense maybe. Interior home defense? You'll set the damn house on fire and blow out all the windows in the room, not to mention concuss yourself. But, I'd watch the video.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:44 am ... blow out all the windows in the room, not to mention concuss yourself. But, I'd watch the video.
Local Sheriff's department has a state of the art firing range in their basement. Air going out is cleaner than what comes in, 3 walls are all ballistic so they can shoot 3 directions in training scenarios, etc.

The manufacturer stated the walls were rated for .50 BMG and the SWAT team just had to test that. Yep, the walls handled the .50BMG just fine. The light fixtures, not so much. All had to be replaced.

Another neat thing about that range: The Sheriff's office shares a building with the PD of the largest city in that county. PD in one wing, Sheriff in the other, jail in between. The PD Chief was adamantly opposed to Concealed Carry when it first came out, and lobbied hard against it. So when CC passed, the Sheriff offered up his nice new range to local CC Training groups for the mandated shooting qualification. Apparently the Chief and the Sheriff didn't like each other particularly much. :twisted:

That's the range where I fired my CHL qualification.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:03 pm
Precision wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:44 am ... blow out all the windows in the room, not to mention concuss yourself. But, I'd watch the video.
Local Sheriff's department has a state of the art firing range in their basement. Air going out is cleaner than what comes in, 3 walls are all ballistic so they can shoot 3 directions in training scenarios, etc.

The manufacturer stated the walls were rated for .50 BMG and the SWAT team just had to test that. Yep, the walls handled the .50BMG just fine. The light fixtures, not so much. All had to be replaced.

Another neat thing about that range: The Sheriff's office shares a building with the PD of the largest city in that county. PD in one wing, Sheriff in the other, jail in between. The PD Chief was adamantly opposed to Concealed Carry when it first came out, and lobbied hard against it. So when CC passed, the Sheriff offered up his nice new range to local CC Training groups for the mandated shooting qualification. Apparently the Chief and the Sheriff didn't like each other particularly much. :twisted:

That's the range where I fired my CHL qualification.
Funny stuff.
Precision

Post by Precision »

just because you can... ah you know the rest.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Vonz90 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 pm

This will not work out well for them though, it just means like in media there will be a parallel legal firm industry that represents conservatives, and anyone else and the lefty ones will wonder why their business went down.
The answer for that is easy, of course --- Racism!!!!
But really guys, we're supposed to retain lawyers for whom your victory in your case isn't their number one concern?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy