Gun Deal in Congress?

Post by Vonz90 »

Vonz90

Re: Gun Deal in Congress?

Post by Vonz90 »

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

And as details come out, it looks Iike a shit show https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/j ... term=first
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

So average Americans have to have their rights limited because a bunch of cops in Texas were fine with kids being killed?

On another note, does Planned Parenthood sponsor that department?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Termite

Post by Termite »

It would have made more sense to simply raise the age to buy rifles to 21. What the GOP idiots did was open a door to waiting periods for everyone.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
g-man

Post by g-man »

The language of the bill is beyond unacceptable, no matter what Cornyn’s (or his office’s more likely) mealy-mouthed response to my contact email said they are trying to do for mental health help for the at-risk among this population. Making pretty much every pistol slide a ‘receiver’ since it houses the firing pin, and all AR-platform guns illegal due to capacity… I sent him a response to his email that was considerably more pointed. I stopped short of saying a vote for this bill would put him amongst the “enemies, foreign or domestic” I swore an oath to defend the Constitution against, but I definitely thought it.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The cry should simply be "Oh hell no!"
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

And they passed it

The list of Stupid Party Faithless Bastards that voted for it:

Blunt
Burr
Capito
Cassidy
Collins
Cornyn
Ernst
Graham
McConnell
Murkowski
Portman
Romney
Tillis
Toomey
Young
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Cornyn is now claiming he was joking about doing an amnesty deal right after the red flag sellout. Apparently Schrodinger's Douchebag manifests in politics too.

Ave, John Cornyn, tower of courage.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
g-man

Post by g-man »

It appears what passed, and the other bill I read earlier (which contains the capacity reduction nonsense) are two very different bills. Reading the text of this bill, the most concerning bits at first glance are the redefinition of 'engaged in the business' regarding firearms sellers (much looser definition in my reading), a very weird definition of terrorism, some clarification of dating relationships for the purposes of defining convictions of domestic abuse, and this gem:
PROHIBITION ON FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION
TRANSFERS TO AGENTS OF DRUG CARTELS.—The Department of Justice, and any of its law enforcement co19 ordinate agencies, shall not conduct or otherwise facilitate the transfer of an operable firearm or ammunition to an individual if any law enforcement officer employed by the Department of Justice involved with the transfer knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the recipient of the firearm or ammunition is an agent of a drug cartel, unless law enforcement personnel of the United States continuously monitor or control the firearm or ammunition at all times.
...which is actually a brilliant poke in the eye of the DoJ following the Fast & Furious nonsense. Given the actual text of this (which passed) and the other bill (which is still floating out there), it could have been much, much worse. This bill, however begs the question: Should we raise the age for the draft? If 'military age males' can be inducted and compelled to use weapons they couldn't buy in the civilian sector, it begs the question as to whether they're the age of majority, and therefore eligible for being inducted involuntarily in the first place. Just my $.02

Edited to add: The other question is this: "How can this law be used against otherwise law-abiding citizens?"
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum