Moaist comback?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Moaist comback?

Post by Vonz90 »

randy

Re: Moaist comback?

Post by randy »

I read an article along similar lines that stated something to the effect that The CCP viewed the move to more open economics in the 90's as a way to play catch up to the west in technology and military power, and now that they've caught up, it's time to for the "adults" to take charge again.

30 years seems like a long time for any government to stick to a strategy, so this could very well be party theorists (or fellow travelers in the west) coming up with an ideological explanation for party policy during the past 3 decades.

And either way, the hardcore fanatics can use this as an opportunity to purge undesirable elements much as what happened when Mao allowed open criticism of the party before kicking off the Cultural Revolution.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

If it turns out like the Cultural Revolution, we may not have much to worry about. There will be a great deal of internal purges, and they'll lose more technical skill than they expected. Sending doctors, scientists, and engineers to labor camps is a great way to lose doctors, scientists, and engineers. Then comes the blocking out of foreign cultural traffic like movies and music.

Hmm. The CCP eats its best and brightest, causing our entertainment industry to collapse due to market loss.

I'm not sure how good to feel about that idea. Really good, or ecstatically good?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

"30 years seems like a long time for any government to stick to a strategy, "
To us. Ask the NVA and the Taliban.

The Chinese tend to think and plan in terms of centuries and millenia.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) An acquaintance is very familiar with Chinese culture. He claims all that matters to them is making more money. Right now, HK is pissed, because they’re making less than they were before. If Xi causes the rest of China to stop making money, my guess is he ends up like Stalin, smothered in a back room by other high ranking party members.

B) Money is freedom. Beijing wants to end it for the same reason DC has its war on private capital.

C) China does alternate between outward looking and inward looking phases. Frankly, they might be looking at the barbarians taking over Europe and the US and thinking it’s time to sit stuff out for a bit.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

BDK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:06 pm A) An acquaintance is very familiar with Chinese culture. He claims all that matters to them is making more money. Right now, HK is pissed, because they’re making less than they were before. If Xi causes the rest of China to stop making money, my guess is he ends up like Stalin, smothered in a back room by other high ranking party members.

B) Money is freedom. Beijing wants to end it for the same reason DC has its war on private capital.

C) China does alternate between outward looking and inward looking phases. Frankly, they might be looking at the barbarians taking over Europe and the US and thinking it’s time to sit stuff out for a bit.
To the Party, allowing others to make money was only ever a means to preserve power. Now the Party has seemed to decide that others are making too much money and that is a threat to their power.

I doubt they will go full Mao, but they my be surprised how much capita (fiscal and intellectual) flees from even just a moderate amount.

In any case, the enemy is making a mistake, we should not interrupt them.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

SoupOrMan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:59 amHmm. The CCP eats its best and brightest, causing our entertainment industry to collapse due to market loss.

I'm not sure how good to feel about that idea. Really good, or ecstatically good?
I'd read elsewhere that Hollywood was losing money because China had developed its own native cinema to the point the don't need Hollywood. So all that pandering turned out to be worthless. Reminds me of the frog and the scorpion a bit except the scorpion will make out OK this time.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 pm I'd read elsewhere that Hollywood was losing money because China had developed its own native cinema to the point the don't need Hollywood.
They've had their own major studios since the 90s, remember they now own Hong Kong...

The issue is, They limit foreign films to just 50 a year, and those 50 will be available to the largest single market in the world - the issue is getting it on on the first place. Some star connected to the studio says something that can be twisted to be even mild criticism of the CCP? All films from that studio BANNEd until the individual in question makes proper apologies, or is dropped by the studio...

Was I the only only one thinking they pulled a Jurassic park" on an extinct giant flightless bird from reading the title?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

LeBron James and John Cena were not available for comment.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:26 pm
SoupOrMan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:59 amHmm. The CCP eats its best and brightest, causing our entertainment industry to collapse due to market loss.

I'd read elsewhere that Hollywood was losing money because China had developed its own native cinema to the point the don't need Hollywood. So all that pandering turned out to be worthless. Reminds me of the frog and the scorpion a bit except the scorpion will make out OK this time.
Their media productions are already better than ours, and their young stars are MUCH more appealing than anything we've done lately. Yes I watch mainland China rom coms.

Makes me think of all our industrial and tech companies that let all their IP be stolen in order to have (temporary, it turns out) access to the Chinese market starting in the 90's.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr