Defunding the Police

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Defunding the Police

Post by Vonz90 »

It looks like St. Louis city is stupid enough to do it. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/squad- ... und-police
Netpackrat

Re: Defunding the Police

Post by Netpackrat »

From that article:
The plan moves $4 million out of the $171 million police budget to be used for affordable housing, homeless services, a victims’ support program, and civil rights enforcement.
So, about a 2.3% cut when all is said and done, and that's considered "defunding the police." Oooo-kay then.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:37 am From that article:
The plan moves $4 million out of the $171 million police budget to be used for affordable housing, homeless services, a victims’ support program, and civil rights enforcement.
So, about a 2.3% cut when all is said and done, and that's considered "defunding the police." Oooo-kay then.
Since it's a pretty sure bet that the cuts won't come at the expense of Command and Support staff, or of the "High Speed Low Drag Tacticool" teams and task forces, the impact on actual street level operations is likely to be higher.

Oh well, they can always use Asset forfeiture to make up the difference.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

St Louis city is already one of the most dangerous cities in the US and almost all of the violence happens in 3 precincts, they are not going to pull police from the nice neighborhoods or the business districts so guess who will suffer?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Per the article, they are eliminating 90 some police positions that are currently not filled. There will be no reduction in actual cops on the street. Basically the Defund crowd has very little grounds for declaring victory, as I read it.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:55 am Per the article, they are eliminating 90 some police positions that are currently not filled. There will be no reduction in actual cops on the street. Basically the Defund crowd has very little grounds for declaring victory, as I read it.
Truth and rationality have no weight in how they'll spin it, though. And 95% of the people who hear their crowing won't do even minimal research to see what the actual numbers mean.

Eliminating vacant positions is also kind of like a surrender. Couple that with the fact that many of the positions are probably vacant because of animosity toward the police that began under Obama, and they could be considered to be winning incrementally.

Erosion is how they accomplish what they do.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

Weetabix wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Eliminating vacant positions is also kind of like a surrender. Couple that with the fact that many of the positions are probably vacant because of animosity toward the police that began under Obama, and they could be considered to be winning incrementally.

Erosion is how they accomplish what they do.
quoted for truth.
The new wife is an LEO. Her agency with 185 total employees (including the jail guards, admin staff etc) has about 35 positions open and (IIRC) 8 are for patrol officers and are NOT being filled. Partly due to lower pay than the nearby counties (which may get fixed this week), but also due to the erosion mentioned above. AND we are RURAL TN without much BLM / ANTIFA stupid.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/