Reddit v. Billionaires

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Termite

Re: Reddit v. Billionaires

Post by Termite »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:36 pm I want to see one of these a week... one a day...in financial markets or wherever it's possible to ratf**k some sociopaths who richly deserve a good rogering. Hold, my bully boys, hold.
What the current "elites" have forgotten, is what Henry Ford and his generation of "elites" understood quite well.

The "little people" have to have some money, hopes & dreams too, if they are going to buy products & services from "the big boys".

"You can shear a sheep many times; but you can skin it only once."
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

Reddit traders vs Hedge fund managers: This week in pictures.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... dition.php
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

HTRN wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:27 am
scipioafricanus wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:31 pm Love Louis; he has been hot on this.
He's a cat channel masquerading as electronics repair/nyc real estate channel... :ugeek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr Clinton is quality content.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
BDK

Post by BDK »

So, the interesting thing is how Reddit took down a naked short seller - which is illegal, but not enforced for some reason.

Provided, that they don’t start triggering odd things with real companies - automatic management changes, etc - I could see the appeal.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jered wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:35 amI'm bemused at the Reddit guys smacking a hedge fund.

I'm pissed at the people that are trying to protect the hedge fund.
Up to and including Janet Yellen and, by extension, "President" B(uy)den.*
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision

Post by Precision »

naked shorts have been here for a LONG time.
When I was a stock broker it was a thing we learned about and were supposed to STRONGLY advise our clients against, unless they were rich and the position was small AND it was their play money.
Having said that running shorts is a common thing, it becomes interesting when the shorts gang up on a stock, or when the shorts are wrong and get squeezed.
Much like the short can be a self fulfilling dive to the ground for a stock, a short squeeze is often a rocket ship up for the price of the stock. As the squeeze hits, the shorts have to cover which means buying the stock to cover the short. This drives the stock price up, which makes more shorts HAVE to cover their positions by buying the stock at the new higher price, which means more shorts are put in a bad spot... rinse and repeat. In the attempt to cover a short squeeze, a stock can go from $8 to $80 in a day.

So long as the market allows for both sides to get burned, I see no issue. Unfortunately, that is often NOT the case.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:16 pm naked shorts have been here for a LONG time.
When I was a stock broker it was a thing we learned about and were supposed to STRONGLY advise our clients against, unless they were rich and the position was small AND it was their play money.
Having said that running shorts is a common thing, it becomes interesting when the shorts gang up on a stock, or when the shorts are wrong and get squeezed.
Much like the short can be a self fulfilling dive to the ground for a stock, a short squeeze is often a rocket ship up for the price of the stock. As the squeeze hits, the shorts have to cover which means buying the stock to cover the short. This drives the stock price up, which makes more shorts HAVE to cover their positions by buying the stock at the new higher price, which means more shorts are put in a bad spot... rinse and repeat. In the attempt to cover a short squeeze, a stock can go from $8 to $80 in a day.

So long as the market allows for both sides to get burned, I see no issue. Unfortunately, that is often NOT the case.
Exactly, +1
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I just put up a bunch of gamestop memes in the demotivator thread.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt