This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Roe v Wade overturned

Post by Vonz90 »

Vonz90

Re: Roe v Wade overturned

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... steria.php
One of the many ironies of post-Dobbs hysteria was French President Emmanuel Macron denouncing the decision, even though the Mississippi statute that the Court upheld was more permissive, more liberal, than France’s own abortion law.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Justin Trudeau was upset about this decision but he makes women get a shot to enter his country and exercise their bodily autonomy.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Let the Balkanization and self sorting of populations from blue to red and red to blue continue at an accelerated pace!
Texas? Tennesee? Florida? I'd NEVER live there. I've got to move to a Blue State.
Your terms are acceptable.

Nevermind all the "free travel for an abortion" stuff being thrown about will be about as big a game as gun buybacks.
"Positive pregancy test sticks $400 -- get yourself a $4000 vacation to Disneyland"
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:41 pm Nevermind all the "free travel for an abortion" stuff being thrown about will be about as big a game as gun buybacks.
"Positive pregancy test sticks $400 -- get yourself a $4000 vacation to Disneyland"
That abortion thing is cheaper than decades worth of benefits.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jered wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:43 amThat abortion thing is cheaper than decades worth of benefits.
That right there.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:57 pm
Jered wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:43 amThat abortion thing is cheaper than decades worth of benefits.
That right there.
https://babylonbee.com/news/woman-start ... s-at-heart
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Y'know, gleefully sticking it to the sluts that get raped by their dad and all is par for the course for this forum, but I'd at least hoped some of you would've remembered Roe v. Wade was decided based on the right to privacy of the citizen, which has now legally ceased to exist. During a time of unprecedented and all-pervasive surveillance.

Go team.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jericho941 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:45 am Y'know, gleefully sticking it to the sluts that get raped by their dad and all is par for the course for this forum, but I'd at least hoped some of you would've remembered Roe v. Wade was decided based on the right to privacy of the citizen, which has now legally ceased to exist. During a time of unprecedented and all-pervasive surveillance.

Go team.
With all due respect, that's a straw man.

My understanding of the majority opinion is that Court did not rule that the right does or does not exist (granting that I need to reread it), but that Roe was badly reasoned. I think that's why Thomas also mentioned Obergefell, Lawrence, and Griswold -- not to overturn the idea of a right to privacy, but to argue for it on something that is actually Constitutional.

Any discussion of unenumerated rights should properly begin with the Ninth Amendment, not with "emanations of penumbras." Yeah, there are a lot of punters going "cOnStItUtIoN DoNt SaY NuThIn BoUt No PrIvAcY," which is an exactly backwards understanding, but frankly I've seen little or none of that around here -- it's more Ace of Spades's speed.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

Even the formerly sainted and now denounced Holy RGB apparently thought that Roe was bad law and the result that she desired (legalized abortion) would have been better served through debate at the State level.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".