SPLC Lawsuit

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

SPLC Lawsuit

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/christ ... v-sullivan

Interesting, I kind have two thoughts about this. On the one side SPLC is a horrible hate filled money grubbing leftist crap machine. On the other, if couched in terms of their opinion, then the idea of defamation does not make sense from a free speech standpoint.

The details matter, if they (SPLC) defines "hate group" objectively then it is a question of did they know the group in question did not meet those requirements. If it is just they don't like 'em then it does not matter.
randy

Re: SPLC Lawsuit

Post by randy »

When I worked in Emergency Management, I had access to some LE materials related to threat groups, including those designated as "Hate Groups" by the SPLC. Outside of those groups that have used violence in the past, or have made credible threats,(as in actual, physical violence, not just someone that got all butthurt because their feelwings were hurt), I had serious issues with using the SPLC lists as the main source for those bulletins.

The only noticeable common theme I saw on the SPLC lists was that they didn't like the politics of those groups. I noticed a distinct lack of groups on the left that had committed actual violence in the past. Lots of White Nationalists, but no Black Nationalists, etc. etc.

IANL so it's very possible that an organization made up of Rent Seeking Ambulance Chasers have carefully worded their stuff to keep on this side of what the Courts will enforce.

To be fair, it's very possible that they don't really have any bias, it's just that all the money is in sucking up to leftist money bags by feeding their fantasies of them being the brave Resistance in the face of the impending Fall of Night.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Re: SPLC Lawsuit

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:30 pm When I worked in Emergency Management, I had access to some LE materials related to threat groups, including those designated as "Hate Groups" by the SPLC. Outside of those groups that have used violence in the past, or have made credible threats,(as in actual, physical violence, not just someone that got all butthurt because their feelwings were hurt), I had serious issues with using the SPLC lists as the main source for those bulletins.

The only noticeable common theme I saw on the SPLC lists was that they didn't like the politics of those groups. I noticed a distinct lack of groups on the left that had committed actual violence in the past. Lots of White Nationalists, but no Black Nationalists, etc. etc.

IANL so it's very possible that an organization made up of Rent Seeking Ambulance Chasers have carefully worded their stuff to keep on this side of what the Courts will enforce.

To be fair, it's very possible that they don't really have any bias, it's just that all the money is in sucking up to leftist money bags by feeding their fantasies of them being the brave Resistance in the face of the impending Fall of Night.
Oh, I absolutely agree that the SPLC is garbage and no one should be using their ratings for anything. I do however think they have the right to put them out there.