Chris banned permanently.

Old Grafton

Re: Chris banned permanently.

Post by Old Grafton »

I have no dog in the pile. (But. Wow.) I hope this all stays stable.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I am one of the swindled.

My wife and I made a business deal with chris. He was to prototype a gun related accessory for me and assist with bringing the product to market "with his extensive network in the gun community". I chose to utilize him as a way to both help a forum member and get what I need too.

I have posted about this situation 3 separate times on the forum. Each time to have him delete the post within 5 minutes.

Some members, who I would like to thank publicly, (but will honor their request for privacy) stepped in over a year ago and despite my protests, replaced a significant fraction of the money my wife and I lost. This money was 1/3 of the money we received as wedding gifts not to mention a ton of money for a couple who had just fought breast cancer without insurance.

Some of you may remember the thread where chris asking for help machining aluminum regarding threading and getting it to not bind. That was well into the demanding performance stage of my difficulties.

I personally believe chris has let his life spiral out of control. I am concerned for him as I am also concerned for those like me who might be hurt by his machinations. I wish chris no harm. Quite the opposite, I wish he would get the help he needs and get himself to a place where his actions can equal his espoused ideals.

It is my opinion the ban was warranted and should be permanent.
In my opinion, BDK is right. The general announcement of deceit is where it should remain. Specifics may lead to further drama and mudslinging and even legal troubles for those who post.

Perhaps the removal of his existence is warranted, a la the Klingon shaming ritual. I just wonder if that makes us all poorer. I am not sure the removal of all his threads, comments is warranted. I will leave that to those who run the board. Perhaps just a huge BAN sticker next to his name. He did make valid contributions and removing those contributions does diminish the knowledge base of the board.

Thank you CC for taking action. I know this was difficult for you on a personal level. It shows your commitment to the ideals this forum is founded on.
Last edited by Precision on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Wow, that was a shocking thing to wake up to this morning.

The only dealings I've had with Chris were right here on the forum, so this came out of left field for me.

As Rod said, if Chris wishes to tell his side he has a blog (which is one of my daily reads).
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Precision wrote:ISome of you may remember the thread where chris asking for help machining aluminum regarding threading and getting it to not bind. That was well into the demanding performance stage of my difficulties.
I just won a bet with myself.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JimTX

Post by JimTX »

I won't question the Board's decision as regards the ban, but the previous Byrne posts would be beneficial if restored. Someone mentioned appending his screen nic with the word "Banned". Works for me.

That said, it's truly sad that it's come to this. Being infrequent here, I'm not up to speed on what's what, but I know that the loss registered on the Richter scale, in our world.

Press On, Regardless.

Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX
Rich

Post by Rich »

If looking for a post Chris made, such as "How to make a Glock not suck" said post is available at his blog, as are probably many more. On the other hand, he made many contributions to the knowledge base of this community and it's a shame to lose them. If there aren't any legal roadblocks such as copyright, I'm in favor of retaining them.

Oh, and by the way, I would use the title of "Former Member" rather than "Banned."

But, that's just me, YMMV.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

well fudge, this is heavy.

I'll just let sleeping cookbooks lie.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Put me down on the shocked list.

I knew the guy had personal problems, but didn't realize it had degenerated to this point. :|

I'm also of the opinion that, if possible, his posts should remain.

I spite of what has happened (I have no personal involvement), his opinions and insight on various topics through the years are an asset to the forum as a whole.

If Chris wants them removed, well then, its a loss for all of us.

Its sad that its come to this.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Having been in a bind a time or two myself, I can understand the temptation. As long as the problems don't predate the legal issues and the cancer, he does have my sympathy, and I'm sorry for all of us that things have gotten to this point. Beyond that, I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said.

Actually, one more thing: I sincerely hope this motivates Chris to get things straightened out so he can be the father his son deserves.
Last edited by Cybrludite on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Dear Everyone Who Is Bitching About The Way This Was Handled,

I love this place and this community. I appreciate that CC has hosted it for free or however it works. I appreciate the work the mods put into keeping it working.

Please don't shit in this nest and make CC and the remaining mods think it's not worth messing with.

Your pal,
Weetabix.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D