Cardboard Sled Race Help

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Durham68

Re: Cardboard Sled Race Help

Post by Durham68 »

I saw the same thing. Aside from forming some kind of keel or runners with epoxy or fiberglass, I was thinking that the person in the rear seat would have to have an oar or something else to drag behind the sled to keep it from spinning. It is a drag, but less so than the hand steering we used to do when we were kids and that wasn't too bad once you really got moving. This is the backup plan along with a refrigerator box.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

What about piecing together runners with layers of cardboard and covering them with tape or epoxy? They could be assembled like the image below and shaped as needed to smooth out the steps and minimize the weak point at the tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Or like this. Less cutting and assembly. Same effect. Triple-walled sheets are 5/8" thick so It wouldn't take more than a layer or two to create the runners.
runners 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Coat the bottom with a high temp epoxy. If it's well below freezing coat with water and let it freeze, ice on ice is low friction. If above freezing heat the surface with a propane torch, layer of water is even lower friction. Put some sort of drag on the back to keep it pointed nose first, either a chute or snow anchor.
Precision

Post by Precision »

sounds like lots of fun. I think the top runners on the bottom and the lower picture inside for foot purchase and lateral rigidity. Says the guy mostly from Florida.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Follow the suggestions, after all the above (except epoxy, keep the costs down) drown it with Thompson's Water Seal (paraffin and mineral spirits, basically). I used big cardboard boxes (think upright Freezer) for deer blinds and used TWS and they'd hold up for the entire Ohio deer season!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Your 2 part epoxy with milled glass fiber mixed in for bulk is an adhesive....
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Fiberglass resin, then wax once cured.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Post by Precision »

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/