Snow plow recommendations?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90

Snow plow recommendations?

Post by Vonz90 »

So I am probably going to get one soonish. Just for my driveway, but it is about 1/4 mile long and mostly gravel except for the last 25 yards yo the garage, which is concrete. Not sure if I will put it on my FJ or may get a beater truck for it.

Any thoughts?

I have never used one before so simple and cheap are important as well as easy removal if I put it on my FJ (or get something else as a daily driver and mount to that).
BDK

Re: Snow plow recommendations?

Post by BDK »

Do you have/need a small tractor for any reason? We always used a bucket on a small tractor - made for a more useful tool.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Dad had an old full-size Blazer with a blade setup on the front until he got his tractor. It was a bit colder sitting on the tractor, but he didn’t have to wait for the heater to get up to temp so he could see, and the tractor had much better traction than the truck, so he got done faster. That was just my observations, I can ask about relative costs and see what he said. An additional plus for the tractor is the ability to run other stuff, like he log splitter, and later, the 4’ wide bush-hog mower setup.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:35 pm Do you have/need a small tractor for any reason? We always used a bucket on a small tractor - made for a more useful tool.
Wow, putting a plow on a vehicle that is actually designed for it. That’s crazy talk.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

Ive got a woods blade on my diesel Mitsubishi tractor.
Plus I can mow with it.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

4' bucket on a Kioti diesel compact here, made an 8" rubber blade lip for the bucket from 3/4" conveyor belting. Great combo for heavy snow removal as the belting used as a giant squeegee won't tear up concrete or gravel and the use of the bucket is obvious. Plus the easily removed 5' mower deck makes real short work of 3+ acres in mowing season.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

As far as a plow truck setup, all the makes I've seen use electric over hydraulic for controls so any beater truck you mount one on better have
lived somewhere salt isnt used and have a big alternator and preferably twin batteries as well as 4wd.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Old Grafton wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:58 pm As far as a plow truck setup, all the makes I've seen use electric over hydraulic for controls so any beater truck you mount one on better have
lived somewhere salt isnt used and have a big alternator and preferably twin batteries as well as 4wd.
Unless I find a used one (truck) that is already set up with something, I am probably just going to go with a simple mechanical one like this or similar. At least unless I find out these suck for some reason.

https://www.realtruck.com/bizon-snow-plow/
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

WOW! For a homeowner not in a hurry that looks pretty slick and good enuf for non-commercial use!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:50 am So I am probably going to get one soonish. Just for my driveway, but it is about 1/4 mile long and mostly gravel except for the last 25 yards yo the garage, which is concrete. Not sure if I will put it on my FJ or may get a beater truck for it.

Any thoughts?
Get an old 5 yard dump truck, ideally one already setup to plow. Plowing destroys the front ends of light trucks, even one tons, and splashibg salt filled snow all over it just rots them out. So go get a used dump truck if you want something with plates on it..

If you want the ideal small snow moving machine, get a skidsteer with a snow blade. It will cost you a big chunk of money, but its useful for other things.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt