Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

Re: Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

Post by JAG2955 »

M1A is well sighted in now. It really likes the Fusion 165gr stuff. Cold bore is dead on, as it heats up, each shot successive gets about 1" higher.

But, not to end that range trip on a high note, I went to shoot my S&W 325, with the recently converted .460 Rowland cylinder. .45ACP and the .460 FMJ worked fine. But the 255 gr hard cast .460 would not reliably ignite. Like I only got 50% of the rounds to fire, and that took multiple strikes on each one. I think that I have an extended firing pin around here somewhere. Looks like another range trip. :roll:
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

You poor, poor, thing! Having to drag a bunch of guns down to the range to get in some trigger time.

Oh, the injustice of it all! :lol:
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Ugh, today was enough to make me become a Glock guy.

I fiddled with my revolver enough and determined that it occasionally short-strokes the cylinder. I pulled it apart and found that the sear spring was a little bit bent. I called a local shop with a smith (a REAL smith, he's even missing a finger!), and he told me to come by. He looked at the sear surface engagement with the trigger and basically said that it looks like they did the cuts with a dull butter knife. He stoned them for me, and they let me test fire it.

Still light primer strikes. He looked at the ammo that I had in the cylinder and said said that the crane wasn't quite straight. He straightened it, and I went back into the range. Still had light strikes.

I'm about ready to throw this gun in the trash. At least I learned a lot about revolvers from the guy.

I emailed Buffalo Bore last night. According to them, their ammo is perfect, and while they do use Federal small rifle primers in their .460 Rowland, they are still within industry standards for hardness. The smith thought that the primers looked like they were seated a little deep, which I agreed with.

Attached is a marvelous picture of my frustrations.

Time to price some Glock 20s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Roll some of your own with primer of your own choosing? See how that goes.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Note to self- avoid Clark's Custom.

Sorry that everything is turning out to be so insufferably difficult. You can't do A until you do B, but B's broken and you have to do C first to fix B, but you're not set up for C so to get ready you have to do D and E, but D requires special parts and to get those you first have to do F.....

I used to have entire weeks at work like that.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JAG2955 wrote:Time to price some Glock 20s.
:P

:mrgreen:

:twisted:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Greg wrote:Note to self- avoid Clark's Custom.
I think that this is more Smith and Wesson's fault. In fact, I'm waiting to hear back from Clark's Custom before I go to S&W. If Clark is willing to look at the whole revolver, I'll gladly send it to them.

S&W has great customer service, it's just too bad that it's needed so often.

If I can get a few free minutes, I'm going to deprime one of the buffalo bore cases and re-prime it with a small rifle primer, don eye and ear protection, and go clicky clicky in the garage to see if it's the ammo's fault.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

JAG2955 wrote:
Greg wrote:Note to self- avoid Clark's Custom.
I think that this is more Smith and Wesson's fault. In fact, I'm waiting to hear back from Clark's Custom before I go to S&W. If Clark is willing to look at the whole revolver, I'll gladly send it to them.

S&W has great customer service, it's just too bad that it's needed so often.

If I can get a few free minutes, I'm going to deprime one of the buffalo bore cases and re-prime it with a small rifle primer, don eye and ear protection, and go clicky clicky in the garage to see if it's the ammo's fault.
Do the .460 FMJs still fire OK?

If so, then the bullets may be part of the problem. Many of the 250 gr + .45 cast bullets are sized to .454" instead of the .452" that is standard for .45 ACP. This is a holdover from before WWII, when .45 Colt revolvers had .454" bores. If BB is using bullets sized to .454", the loaded cartridges may be sitting very slightly high in the chambers. If that is happening, then when the firing pin hits the primer, some of the force may be getting lost pushing the cartridge into the chamber, with the remaining force insufficient to set off the primer.

It might be worthwhile to try manually pushing the rounds into the chambers when you load, to make sure they are in as far as they will go.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Do the .460 FMJs still fire OK?

If so, then the bullets may be part of the problem. Many of the 250 gr + .45 cast bullets are sized to .454" instead of the .452" that is standard for .45 ACP. This is a holdover from before WWII, when .45 Colt revolvers had .454" bores. If BB is using bullets sized to .454", the loaded cartridges may be sitting very slightly high in the chambers. If that is happening, then when the firing pin hits the primer, some of the force may be getting lost pushing the cartridge into the chamber, with the remaining force insufficient to set off the primer.

It might be worthwhile to try manually pushing the rounds into the chambers when you load, to make sure they are in as far as they will go.
I'll pay special attention to it, but I'm pretty certain that I had them pushed all the way forward. Buffalo Bore's 230gr JHPs had the same issue as the 255s, so I don't think that it's the only problem.

Net, which RMR are you running on your G20?

I have the dual-illuminated green triangle on my FNX-45. Which is what I'll likely be taking, unless a miracle occurs.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JAG2955 wrote:Net, which RMR are you running on your G20?

I have the dual-illuminated green triangle on my FNX-45. Which is what I'll likely be taking, unless a miracle occurs.
RM07, 6.5moa dot. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the non-adjustable model (always on).
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop