Hunting Season

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Glenn Bartley

Hunting Season

Post by Glenn Bartley »

It must be getting close to that time of year when the various hunting seasons start to open. I figured that out all by myself because at least here in New York, licenses went on sale Monday. I ordered mine then, and my son's yesterday. I tried to get 2 Deer Management Permits (doe permits) with absolutely no luck for myself. When I ordered my son's license, I put in 2 choices of Wildlife Management Units for the DMPs - and he gets both of them. At least one of us is lucky. I suppose the DMPs increase the odds of us having some venison this fall, I hope so since we have been skunked for a few years now.

To help increase out odds this year, I am starting my scouting trips this weekend. I usually don't get a chance to get away until late September or even early to mid October to scout out some good hunting spots. Hopefully my early start this year will put us onto some real hotspots.

With that in mind, I had best be getting the son to the range. Since he has been in love, he has not found the time to go with me more than maybe twice in the last year. There is no way he is hunting with me unless he has boned up on his marksmanship skills, that is for sure. He starts college on Monday, and his girlfriend should return to college soon too, so maybe I can grab him on some weekends. I think he will look forward to getting away from the books, and his girlfriend will be busy maintaining her full sports scholarship (softball pitcher) on weekends - so we may just have some time together for the range.

Who else out there is getting ready for hunting season?

All the best,
Glenn B
When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
Steamforger

Re: Hunting Season

Post by Steamforger »

Goose season is 10 days away for me. Licenses and stamps will follow shortly. Duck should begin shortly thereafter. I'm starting to lose sleep in anticipation.

I've been working my ass off for leases this fall, and have two solid spots with a firm maybe for a cornfield as well. It should be a good season, mixed with easy, guaranteed limits, and good 'ol fashioned working hard for what you get.

Deer will follow, but I have to confess that, as a wingshooter, I find deer hunting tedious and boring all at the same time. Another factor limiting my desire to deer hunt is the fact that MI won't let you rifle hunt in the lower half of the state. A friend (21 year Ranger) also has offered to put me on some yotes at some point as well.

Salmon and Steelhead will also be on the list somewhere in there too.

It's shaping up to look like an excellent fall.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

CByrneIV wrote:Down here you have to get into the lottery early to get a deer or elk tag; and I havent had the time and cash simultaneously to do so. Varminting is all year round though, and there aint never been a shortage of 'yotes (plague took most of the prairie dogs) ;-)
In MI, all you have to do is be an innattentive driver. The odds will catch up with you sooner or later...
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I haven't been deer hunting in about 20 years. But I really think I am going to give it a "shot" again this shotgun season. I have a friend who has a line on a nice piece of property in NW Jersey that has some decent sized antlered-rats roaming around.

Now, I just have to learn to like venison. ;) I've had it cooked a million different ways but it never compares to a Prime NY Strip...

Chase, here in Central Jersey, we have so many of the damned things that I have virtually given up on riding my motorcycle past dark. Especially in the fall. The damned soccer moms always get their uterii twisted into knots when a professional hunt is proposed.

"KEEP KIDS SAFE!!! NO HUNTERS IN OUR TOWN!!!"
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

CByrneIV wrote:Down here you have to get into the lottery early to get a deer or elk tag; and I havent had the time and cash simultaneously to do so. Varminting is all year round though, and there aint never been a shortage of 'yotes (plague took most of the prairie dogs) ;-)
I didn't realize harvesting game was so difficult in other parts of the country. In Va. all you have to do is tie a salt lick to the bumper and...
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Got the broadheads sharpened for the archery season (if my shoulder holds out... stickbows have no let-off) and the flintlocks are ready for blackpowder season. Got loads worked up for the '06 and the .45 LC, and ready to go. Archery starts in October for deer, then a muzzleloader season for two weeks, then anything goes from mid-November until the end of January. And hogs are year-round!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Grouse opens in about two weeks. Found a coyote partner, so hopefully I'll do more of that this winter. Jackrabbits should be on as soon as the snow flies. Might do a bit of duck hunting with my kid brother, I don't know yet. No big game for me this year, in Utah you have to put in in January, so I missed the draw this year.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Squirrel season opens in mid October, that is when I do my deer scouting. We can buy tags for up to six deer. Gun season opens on THanksgiving week and there is a doe, muzzleloading and other special seasons running thru the end of the year. No special lotterys in WV, just go buy the tags.