Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:24 am
Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 am Designing stuff is frustrating. I designed a shop organization part, mainly for my own use. It took 5 design iterations (that I actually printed, there were a couple more in between), but I finally had something that worked and did everything that I wanted it to.
Welcome to R&D! You'll soon be thinking "Wow, it only took 5 revisions to get it right" - to put this in perspective, a certain item we make for the MTA has, last I heard, over 1200 revisions since the initial prototype, and the cast majority of them were after we actually started making them to be shipped. This item has probably close to, or over a hundred parts in it, which means that of the things we actually make, each has had the design updated at least a dozen times.

In other words, there's always room for improvement.
Ever have to tell a customer that they have to scrap a $350k injection mold tool because the design feature that they insisted on (and you told them would not work) didn't work and there was no way to fix it. Good times.

I both love and hate NPD...
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

heh. yeah. something like that but in 7-8 figures, stopped assembly line and a recall. There are only so many ways to not say I told you so. Especially when it falls to you help coordinate the containment, rework, redesign and recall -- with the ones you _aren't_ saying I told you so to.

Only question is which is worse for that scenario... Not saying while recovering 1000's of parts worth $1000's ea or hundreds of 1000's parts worth $100/ea.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:32 pm heh. yeah. something like that but in 7-8 figures, stopped assembly line and a recall. There are only so many ways to not say I told you so. Especially when it falls to you help coordinate the containment, rework, redesign and recall -- with the ones you _aren't_ saying I told you so to.

Only question is which is worse for that scenario... Not saying while recovering 1000's of parts worth $1000's ea or hundreds of 1000's parts worth $100/ea.
Well that is changing from tooling to finished goods. I have been involved in thankfully only a couple recalls and thankfully they were not my fault or my team's.

No one is your friend when you have to go tell Quality and Ops that they have been building something wrong for years and it is a safety issue. Fun times (f***ing China plant). If you find it, you are the bad guy no matter who did it.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

g-man

Post by g-man »

Apple Watch SE decided to allow its face to start separating from the metal body at the gym this morning. They have a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty. I’m in the 13th month of ownership, according to my T-Mobile statement. Grrrrrrr… Going to go by the store and ask the question, but am not hopeful. Suunto GPS watch I was using before is built like a tank, but doesn’t have cellular, and has zero message reply capability (never realizes how much I use the long-press ‘thumbs up’ response until I don’t have the option anymore). Not having to drag my phone out to decline the myriad spam calls I get now is also nice.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:42 am Apple Watch SE decided to allow its face to start separating from the metal body at the gym this morning. They have a 12-month manufacturer’s warranty. I’m in the 13th month of ownership, according to my T-Mobile statement. Grrrrrrr…
Unfortunately, this is part and parcel of Apples engineering and manufacturing the last couple of years, particularly their cheaper products.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

part of me wants to say something about buying products from the Dark Lord.

But that's just a guy who's been part of their supply chain and watched their dealings 1st hand with suppliers...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

There's much more to that story - they were ordered to shift to organic practices, because they're broke and in debt up to their eyes because they defaulted on Chinese loans... Which the Chinese responded to by taking their port. All that money went into the pockets of the President and prime minister and their families.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

And, there are good reasons to switch away from synthetic fertilizers-truthfully, it has to be done - the application to yield curve insists on it - but it’s a gradual process (4-5 years, I think.)