Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 pm Got them unloaded out at AlaskaTRX's hangar today. Cleaned up the shear a little; she cuts nice.
I'll tell you right now, using a jump shear is fine for the occasional cut, but using them constantly gets old fast.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

hah, power shear...

Circa 1998 or so friend (and supplier at the time) was head of engineering in a pwb fab we used. He was out on the floor doing a safety demo at the power shear used for cutting copper clad laminate panels. As he said "don't put your fingers in here..." He activiated it and nipped the tip of his pinky off.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:29 am
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:00 pm Got them unloaded out at AlaskaTRX's hangar today. Cleaned up the shear a little; she cuts nice.
I'll tell you right now, using a jump shear is fine for the occasional cut,
You basically just described use of the shear in aircraft sheet metal repair.

Cool thing is it came with apparently all the attachments which you don’t usually see because nobody in aircraft maintenance uses them so they get lost. There are 2 t-slot extensions that bolt on the front, and 2 round bars that can be installed to stick out the back. We have both of those for our Tennsmith shear at work, but the safety nazis took them off because they think people are going to walk into them. The extensions on the front are fairly self explanatory (more support for large material), but I always wondered what the round bars that go on the back were used for. My shear came with a pair of depth stops that go on them.

It's rare that you would need to make a lot of repetitive cuts with the foot shear in aircraft maintenance, and in aircraft production you would be using a power shear. So the depth stops wouldn't be terribly useful which I am sure is why I have never seen any before now. Given that the brake and the shear were initially used in a hangar up at Prudhoe Bay and then later shipped back down here, it's a minor miracle the attachments didn't get separated from it at some point.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:58 am hah, power shear...

Circa 1998 or so friend (and supplier at the time) was head of engineering in a pwb fab we used. He was out on the floor doing a safety demo at the power shear used for cutting copper clad laminate panels. As he said "don't put your fingers in here..." He activiated it and nipped the tip of his pinky off.
Yeah but did he not make his point?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:58 am hah, power shear...
It isn't - it's called a "jump shear" because you step down on it to shear. Takes a fair bit of effort to do so, especially if you're scrawny.

My buddy had a similar sized hydraulic power shear for sale until recently(I think he sold it) for like 4 grand.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yes, I can see (saw) that is a jump shear. Well acquainted with them -- and still have all my digits complete inspite of stupid High School Metal shop tricks and Airframe shop shenanigans. :)

Went to power shear story from HTRN's comment about jump shear being fine for the occasional cut.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

So I just saw something interesting on r/gunmemes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunMemes/comme ... k_gun_buy/

Somebody reportedly made 21 grand at a NY gunbuyback...

Not with zipguns, or slamfire shotguns....

That wasn't crazy enough.

No the gigachad showed up with a ziplock bag of 3d printed autosears. :shock:

He must clank when he walks, because the dude has balls of iridium.

Edit: apparently, he had conspirators, and the three of them took the buyback for a total of $45,000..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Guy ... 5-2586599/

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

So while meandering on the information highway, I cam across an article titled "the best lathe chucks - USA product brands" Curious, I skipped the word salad and scrolled down to the list

What do I see as #1? Not Albrecht, not Rohm, not even Jacobs super chucks. No a 10 dollar made up brand chuck undoubtedly made from chinesium. Is apparently the best available. :roll:

So of course I had to comment :mrgreen:

h**ps://w*w.goultralow.com/best-lathe-chucks/?unapproved=2162&moderation-hash=06516b21de2aca637ce8ba348378f3d6#comment-2162

Link left cold.

To put this in perspective, the Albrecht sitting in my Clausings tailstock, I paid a Benny for.. in 1998. Which I will readily admit I've never used, because it needs a set of jaws, which is why I've gotten it so cheap - a new set of jaws is around $180. Meanwhile I've got a perfectly good Jacobs super chucks that came with the lathe.

Let that sink in - the chuck their touting costs less than the shipping and handling on the replacement parts for my Albrecht. A New one cost 66 times what that masterpiece of Chinese manufacturing does. :roll:

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

And the hits just keep on rolling. :roll:

Noticed this morning that the chest freezer light was still on, checked the contents, and noticed the ice buildup had dropped. Scrambled and had just enough freezer space across all the refrigerators in the house.

Couldn't have happened in January when it's 20f out, noooo. :roll:

So now I've gotta go shop for a new chest freezer. My first inclination is to buy a bigger one, but now that I've calmed down I'm thinking two smaller ones might be a better idea - this way, if one shits the bed, I can always transfer to the other and the refrigerators.

And oh, I'm ordering an electronic freezer alarm.