Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

The jaw mounting faces look okay so you don't have to mess with them, which is good...

Because the top surface is full of apprentice marks. Yeesh. The issue when you put dents in, you drive metal around it up, so you have a bunch of high spots, many of which are only detectable with an indicator. What I would Is grind both top surfaces at the same time, but only enough to insure that the surface is flat, not enough to take the marks out. The fixed jaw block is going to be a pain to remove, as it has two massive shcs that go in from the bottom, and extremely tight key going between the body and the block. You may have to knock it apart with a dead blow. Luckily you have access to a surface grinder, and don't care too much about cosmetics. I will say that I have not only seen worse vise's, I've used them. This is fixable just not going to be terribly pretty. Good luck! :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

wow that's a mouthful. But worth sticking with to finish. thanks.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Got impatient and I had to run my generator anyway to make sure the stabilized fuel I just filled it with got distributed throughout the fuel system, so I hooked up the Bridgeport for a quick test. The VFD started up and ran it with no problem, and at the default setting of 5hz I noted the motor rotation was correct (had a 50% chance there), so I won't need to swap any wires. Mill is located in the far part of the shop and my genset extension cord was only long enough to get it outside the door by about 5 feet, so I didn't want to run it for more than a couple minutes that way. But now I can proceed with hooking up the external controls (rotary switch, e-stop, rheostat for speed control).

The rebuild kit for the abused Kurt vise came yesterday so I got that reassembled. Still wish I had bought a new one, but it will function well enough for the time being and I can focus on acquiring other tooling and at some point add a DRO.

Edit to add; obviously the electrician never showed up. Contacted them Wednesday and I guess they are waiting for some sort of planetary alignment of schedules with the power company and inspector. 8^P
Last edited by Netpackrat on Sun May 30, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

I think my fiancee is rubbing off on me. Normally, I'm not this motivated to do yard work.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Currently watching the Indy 500.

Female pit crews are agonizing to watch.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Short form: “Anti Racist” time is a rework of “Mein Kampf”, with classical liberals/Christians/Jews as the ones to be sent to the ovens…
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Insha'Allah
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The blaze on board the huge training and logistical ship -- called the "Khark" -- began early Wednesday morning.
"Despite 20 hours of all-out efforts by Civil and Naval Military Rescue Teams, the rescue operation of the Khark training support vessel was ineffective due to the spread of fire in different parts," Fars said in its reported
Members of DevGru could not be reached for comment
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story