Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Rich Jordan

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a sealer to use on the wood, so I can forestall having to replace it with treated lumber for as long as possible? Trailer will be sitting outdoors in the snow during the winters.
I don't have a specific brand suggestion but coworker used a high rated wood deck stain/sealer with UV resistance and when I asked said it has held up outside in chicagoland for 4 full years without noticeable problems. He didn't remember the brand but it was whatever Home Depot had that rated well.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Thanks, I am probably going to do the same with whatever Los Depot has. My brother was already asking to use it for hauling 4 wheelers this weekend (before I have even used it), but I told him I didn't want it used (especially with muddy wheelers) until I have had a chance to get some sealer on the deck. To be fair, he did invite me with the offer of his extra quad to ride.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:57 am It sold for $85 grand in 2015.

They're now asking $390k. :shock:
And now it's "pending" :shock:

Edit:> In other news, on the "things I didn't know existed, but now desperately want" front, I just discovered that the people who own "Big Bud", the world's largest tractor, are now selling a "block"(read: Lego) kit. Along with avengers Helicarrier, and the various Technic kits like Cat D11r, it tops my list
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

heh, the Bee is having a field day
SAN FRANCISCO, CA—Elon Musk’s bid to purchase Twitter came up short after 138,000 board votes were found at 2 a.m., a company spokesman confirmed Tuesday. Musk had been in talks to purchase the company for $44 billion.
RTWT
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

I can't win.

Identified some miscommunication related to a project that could potentially turn into a security issue depending on which guy 'in charge' of the project I listened to. Brought that up with my boss.

My 'attaboy' is to now have to go to all that project's meetings. FFS.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:31 pmMy 'attaboy' is to now have to go to all that project's meetings. FFS.
Let the punishment fit the crime! :lol:

Edit: been watching the new Law & Order season of online, and one scene seemed really familiar... It should, I just realized it was our corporate office space. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Designing stuff is frustrating. I designed a shop organization part, mainly for my own use. It took 5 design iterations (that I actually printed, there were a couple more in between), but I finally had something that worked and did everything that I wanted it to. I was happy enough with it that I decided to print up an extra batch of them to run up the ebay flagpole to see if anyone else would salute.

Took another one off the printer tonight, and promptly dropped it on the floor, and a piece broke off. After I got over being upset at the waste of 3 hours of print time and loss of the part, I realized it was probably a good thing I didn't actually ship any to customers who paid money for them. The feature in question was more than strong enough for its intended use, but if a random hit from a light plastic part being dropped on the floor breaks it, that's obviously too fragile.

Started snapping the rest and salvaging the neodymium magnets from them before throwing them away, and had another thought. Broke off the offending weak features from an otherwise intact unit, and found that the weak feature, which was originally a necessary part of the design, was no longer needed because at step 3 or 4 of the iteration process, I'd had to go to larger magnets to reliably hold the thing in place, and that more than made up for the lack of the broken off parts.

Cool, now I can reduce print time and material use through another redesign.

I also designed a trick little case for my inspection stamps for work, and despite having a moving part (lid) with a magnetic closure (using the magnets that were too small/weak for the other part), the stupid thing worked right from the first print. SMH.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 am Designing stuff is frustrating. I designed a shop organization part, mainly for my own use. It took 5 design iterations (that I actually printed, there were a couple more in between), but I finally had something that worked and did everything that I wanted it to.
Welcome to R&D! You'll soon be thinking "Wow, it only took 5 revisions to get it right" - to put this in perspective, a certain item we make for the MTA has, last I heard, over 1200 revisions since the initial prototype, and the cast majority of them were after we actually started making them to be shipped. This item has probably close to, or over a hundred parts in it, which means that of the things we actually make, each has had the design updated at least a dozen times.

In other words, there's always room for improvement.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:24 am Welcome to R&D! You'll soon be thinking "Wow, it only took 5 revisions to get it right" - to put this in perspective, a certain item we make for the MTA has, last I heard, over 1200 revisions since the initial prototype, and the cast majority of them were after we actually started making them to be shipped. This item has probably close to, or over a hundred parts in it, which means that of the things we actually make, each has had the design updated at least a dozen times.

In other words, there's always room for improvement.
I think part of it is I am used to metal fabrication, where you can usually either tweak something until it is right, or at least salvage a lot of it for the next try. If a 3d printed part doesn't work out, then generally the part is scrap.

Even the case I made that basically worked from the first print, and looks cool, has some artifacts from the print process which are not present in the cad, and I have been trying various small tweaks to get them out with limited success. The current attempt has about 9 minutes left to go, and from what I can tell, making changes to the design itself didn't really make much improvement. I have one other thing I want to try based on a conversation I had on the Prusa Bear Mod discord with the designer, as a result of having asked why a part had been designed a certain way that hadn't made a lot of sense to me. Turned out it had nothing to do with the function of the part and everything to do with improving the print quality through better part cooling.