Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

For Netpackrat:
https://youtu.be/eCBbnSRjii0

It came out absolutely beautiful, but was a case of wall papering over termite damage.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:27 pm For Netpackrat:

It came out absolutely beautiful, but was a case of wall papering over termite damage.
Yeah unless I am mistaken, it seems like that was mostly cosmetic work?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

He did the kind of bodywork I'd expect to see on something going to Carlyle..

On a piece of industrial machinery :?

He reused the original leadscrew, bearings, bushings and did not rescrape the ways. Worse, he surface ground sliding parts on the compound and carriage. He sand blasted around precision surfaces. I don't care how much you're careful, you're almost certainly going to hit those precision surfaces with errant abrasive.

I'm also betting he did nothing with motor either.

I would have chemically stripped it to bare iron, give it a decent sanding, sprayed it with high build primer, another sanding with a block, then I'd spray on the toughest, most oil resistant finish I could find, in industrial grey. Most likely some kind of epoxy enamel. I'd strip and coat all those oil contact surfaces(the yellow surfaces), and recoat with Glyptol. I'd replace all the bearings and bushings, and lead screw. Then have the compound, carriage and bed all rescrape. The motor would be sent to a motor shop, for a redip, strip repaint, etc. All electrical switches and contactors would be replaced. All geartrain would be thoroughly scrutinized and replaced as needed. All the SHCS would be replaced with stainless hardware.

It would easily be a multi year project with costs approaching 5 figures. But then, in the end it would basically be a new machine. And that's how a real rebuild is done,
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Paul Seabury - “the world of the spirit, like that of nature, abhors a vacuum. . . Once a spiritual order becomes the auxiliary of a secular Zeitgeist, it loses even the utility it professes as its justification"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/ ... ing-spain/

Still kind of annoyed that these didn't work out. I know there were some maintenance issues, but the ferry ride from Whittier to Cordova is normally 9+ hours, and the Chenega turned it into a 3 hour run when she was still operational. It was my understanding that the state got the builder to cough up another set of spare engines for the boats at no cost due to all of the problems, but they still refused to place them back into service, so the buyer probably got those as part of the deal.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I really enjoy some of the videos put out by the staff at the Battleship New Jersey museum. Today's video was sponsored by a company that makes wooden rings, including some that are made from teak wood reclaimed from the NJ's deck. Took a look at their website, and found that they are not inexpensive at all, despite being made of wood. Also saw a picture of a bride and groom, with the caption, "Buy now, pay later." Best caption ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QyZ7tsOWRw

evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:27 pm For Netpackrat:

Just another of those stupid internet "restoration" videos that really are nothing more than paint and wasted time.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:15 amincluding some that are made from teak wood reclaimed from the NJ's deck.
I want to buy some, for knife scales, for a Damascus Bowie project I've been thinking about for a couple of months. Just gotta scrape up the green that it would take for Jay Nelson would charge.. which would not be insignificant - I'm figuring a couple of grand to get it done :shock:

What i Would really like is to get some steel off the ship to add to the Damascus as well. I'm tempted to get in contact with both Nielsen and the museum staff, and make a suggestion for a fundraiser, with the blades to beauctilned off. Maybe make a run of numbered knives, totaling 62... :ugeek:

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:26 am
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:15 amincluding some that are made from teak wood reclaimed from the NJ's deck.
I want to buy some, for knife scales, for a Damascus Bowie project I've been thinking about for a couple of months. Just gotta scrape up the green that it would take for Jay Nelson would charge.. which would not be insignificant - I'm figuring a couple of grand to get it done :shock:

What i Would really like is to get some steel off the ship to add to the Damascus as well. I'm tempted to get in contact with both Nielsen and the museum staff, and make a suggestion for a fundraiser, with the blades to beauctilned off. Maybe make a run of numbered knives, totaling 62... :ugeek:
They sell teak and deck bolts in the museum store:

https://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/pro ... gory/teak/

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

$25k literally going down the shitter (new septic system installation started today). Necessary but fracking ouch.