Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Tore into the quill feed apparatus on the mill tonight and found some broken/missing parts. Hopefully it will work right once they are replaced.

Spent a large part of my weekend working on the clothes washer rather than stuff I wanted to do. 3 year old Maytag with failed bearings/transmission assembly. Time was, you could buy a Maytag and it would last for 15 or 20 years.... No more apparently. The sticker on the front boldly proclaims the 10 year parts warranty, which turns out to be mostly useless since it only covers 2 parts, the motor and the tub itself.

And speaking of the motor, it's a direct drive thing on the bottom of the transmission assembly, and you have to literally disassemble the motor to remove it. Transmission is sealed so instead of replacing bearings and seals, you have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a new unit. Getting it all out of the machine was fun... Once I figured out that the answer to pretty much every challenge I encountered was "Moar Hammer" I was able to make progress. Truly a case where you had to be prepared to be dumber than the machine to succeed, and the machine is pretty dumb.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am On a lighter note, if you were to come across a vanity plate that reads:

BLZ GRL

How would you parse that? After my first mildly disturbing attempt I noticed that the license plate holder had the logo of the local NHL team.
I read "Blaze Girl".
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am Tore into the quill feed apparatus on the mill tonight and found some broken/missing parts. Hopefully it will work right once they are replaced.

Spent a large part of my weekend working on the clothes washer rather than stuff I wanted to do. 3 year old Maytag with failed bearings/transmission assembly. Time was, you could buy a Maytag and it would last for 15 or 20 years.... No more apparently. The sticker on the front boldly proclaims the 10 year parts warranty, which turns out to be mostly useless since it only covers 2 parts, the motor and the tub itself.

And speaking of the motor, it's a direct drive thing on the bottom of the transmission assembly, and you have to literally disassemble the motor to remove it. Transmission is sealed so instead of replacing bearings and seals, you have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a new unit. Getting it all out of the machine was fun... Once I figured out that the answer to pretty much every challenge I encountered was "Moar Hammer" I was able to make progress. Truly a case where you had to be prepared to be dumber than the machine to succeed, and the machine is pretty dumb.
Maytag is Whirlpool now; they were bought 10 years ish ago. All the engineering is done on the Whirlpool side now.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am Time was, you could buy a Maytag and it would last for 15 or 20 years.... No more apparently. The sticker on the front boldly proclaims the 10 year parts warranty, which turns out to be mostly useless since it only covers 2 parts, the motor and the tub itself.
Speed Queen. :ugeek:

Ideally the non digital control version.

https://speedqueen.com/
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Greg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 am On a lighter note, if you were to come across a vanity plate that reads:

BLZ GRL

How would you parse that? After my first mildly disturbing attempt I noticed that the license plate holder had the logo of the local NHL team.
I read "Blaze Girl".
So did my wife when I told her about it.

Me, my first take was 'Balls Girl' and I was left wondering if the owner should be talking about that in public.

Then I saw the St Louis Blues license plate holder. So 'Blues Girl'.

Anyone who got 'Grill' instead of 'Girl', well that's understandable too.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Bill's Girl?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:08 am Speed Queen. :ugeek:

I am sure they are nice, but they don't appear to have a top load washer over 3.2 cubic feet in capacity. And it looks like their front loaders max out at 3.5CF. Capacity kind of matters in a house with kids.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Got an O3 water generator coming today to put as input to our washer. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Washing machines, top loaders in particular, are a stealth mold source. Aside from that the Ozone water reportedly does a better job at cleaning laundry w/out any detergent and simply on cold water.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm

BLZ GRL

I read "Blaze Girl".
In the St Louis area - Blues Girl is probably the correct reading. Blues fans are a passionate lot, so the more clear spellings weree probably taken.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:08 am
Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am Time was, you could buy a Maytag and it would last for 15 or 20 years.... No more apparently. The sticker on the front boldly proclaims the 10 year parts warranty, which turns out to be mostly useless since it only covers 2 parts, the motor and the tub itself.
Speed Queen. :ugeek:

That's what I went with several years ago. It has an "eco" setting that you can completely ignore.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D