Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
randy

Re: Does not follow...

Post by randy »

g-man wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:33 pm
randy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 pm The way I look at it, 20 years, up or out is good enough for the military, it's good enough for bureaucrats.
Nah, if 2 terms is good enough for the Pres, Congress can live by the same rules. Also, no retirement. Pay them well enough that they can afford to stop doing whatever they're doing and serve (assuming we're talking about returning to citizen leadership from the 18th century, vice the completely 'professional politician' sort of folks there now), and then they're out.

A guy can wish, can't he?
I can live with that. Add a proviso that their staffs have to leave government service for at least one term before applying to work for another congresscritter.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 pm The way I look at it, 20 years, up or out is good enough for the military, it's good enough for bureaucrats.
Nah, if 2 terms is good enough for the Pres, Congress can live by the same rules. Also, no retirement. Pay them well enough that they can afford to stop doing whatever they're doing and serve (assuming we're talking about returning to citizen leadership from the 18th century, vice the completely 'professional politician' sort of folks there now), and then they're out.

I agree except on pay/retirement. Pay them well and give them a good retirement plan, but they lose every cent if they are convicted of anything, forced to resign, fired, etc. Give them a lot of incentive to be above board and little reason to be corrupt.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

In my fictional Republic of Texas, one of the things that I kept from the ‘real’ Texas is that the Congress only meets for six months every two years, except for certain oversight committees, with the President able to call special sessions as needed. So Congresscritters still have to have real jobs.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
g-man

Post by g-man »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:24 pm

I agree except on pay/retirement. Pay them well and give them a good retirement plan, but they lose every cent if they are convicted of anything, forced to resign, fired, etc. Give them a lot of incentive to be above board and little reason to be corrupt.
I can get onboard with that. Less incentive to be shady if you know you're only going to have to work for 2 terms and then can draw a check.
Captain Wheelgun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:14 pm In my fictional Republic of Texas, one of the things that I kept from the ‘real’ Texas is that the Congress only meets for six months every two years, except for certain oversight committees, with the President able to call special sessions as needed. So Congresscritters still have to have real jobs.
This is one of the things I LOVE about TX.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: ↑Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:14 am
In my fictional Republic of Texas, one of the things that I kept from the ‘real’ Texas is that the Congress only meets for six months every two years, except for certain oversight committees, with the President able to call special sessions as needed. So Congresscritters still have to have real jobs.
This is one of the things I LOVE about TX.
This!!! Meeting time and wasted energy expands to fill the time allotted.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/a ... erm=second

Important study to prove common sense.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:14 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-dru ... rt-tragedy

I lean very libertarian, but not so much relative to drugs. The issue being that for liberty to work requires people to be rational actors and drug addicts are not that.
So let them die. I find drugs personally extremely distasteful, but IMO once you open the door to the notion that 'we here have all decided that we need to take away your freedom for your own good' then the treatment is more damaging than the disease.

Note I make the distinction 'for your own good'... if you're an actual danger to others than those others have the right to take action in their own defense.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:45 am
Vonz90 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:14 pm https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-dru ... rt-tragedy

I lean very libertarian, but not so much relative to drugs. The issue being that for liberty to work requires people to be rational actors and drug addicts are not that.
So let them die. I find drugs personally extremely distasteful, but IMO once you open the door to the notion that 'we here have all decided that we need to take away your freedom for your own good' then the treatment is more damaging than the disease.

Note I make the distinction 'for your own good'... if you're an actual danger to others than those others have the right to take action in their own defense.
It is not them I care about, it is everything they impact.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:04 pm
Greg wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:45 am

It is not them I care about, it is everything they impact.
There is an exact parallel here with Democrats and gun laws.

Everything they do to cause that impact is already illegal. Start there.

See also Prohibition.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr