Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Does not follow...

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:33 am Probably going to order another set, from somebody else who will hopefully ship faster.
Wait till January - nothing gets done till after the holidays.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well that was fun. San Diego ==>> Great Falls Mt == San Diego.

Made it in between weather systems. Got a wee bit sporty pulling a trailer leaving Great Falls and getting through to Helena Monday,. Snowed that night and was still coming down a bit. Monida Pass was down to one lane but mostly at speed on the drive north Sunday. Was windy and mostly dry on the way south.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The Joe Pie style tailstock die holder turned out fairly well. The handles are made from 5/16" drill rod threaded 1/4-28 and just long enough that they still clear the cross slide. Body is 4140 pre-hard, and the guide rod is 5/8" drill rod which is the biggest that will fit in my drill chuck. I am probably going to mill wrench flats into the handles near the body of the holder and finish it up with cold blue.

Mounted in the tailstock with a die installed. Until the correct dies that I ordered arrive, I can only use this to cut left handed threads.... :lol:

Threading a scrap piece of brass rod.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Buy a blank Morse taper arbor, turn to size, then you can eliminate the chuck, and install directly in the tailstock.

https://www.victornet.com/tools/Blank-M ... rs/20.html
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:52 am Buy a blank Morse taper arbor, turn to size, then you can eliminate the chuck, and install directly in the tailstock.

https://www.victornet.com/tools/Blank-M ... rs/20.html
I looked at doing that as my first choice, but all of the blank MT3 arbors I saw were fairly short, and I had the 5/8" drill rod on hand. I might still make an MT arbor for it later on.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I'm the furthest thing from an expert in these matters, but that looks like a right scholarly piece of work and the explanations and photos are educational too.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:37 pm I'm the furthest thing from an expert in these matters, but that looks like a right scholarly piece of work and the explanations and photos are educational too.
You might like the video I based it on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQdxMRqjLA

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Merry Christmas!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I made a bunch of these whistles out of 6061t6 to give my kids and all the nieces and nephews for Christmas. Trimmed them to exact length in the lathe using a collet stop and 5c collet chuck, and using a collet block and vise stop for repeatable setup in the mill, once I made the milling cuts on the first one, I was able to just go to the same numbers on the DRO for each successive unit, so it went a lot more quickly than it otherwise would have.

AlaskaTRX is vowing revenge.