Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Good point, I should be able to run the legs under the trailer and not even use the ramps at all.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

g-man wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:39 am Image

So, I have a few weeks to figure out how I am going to get this off a friend's trailer and into my garage. Both of the older round ram units I was looking at sold, but this is probably better anyway, although not as clean. Appears to be missing a few minor parts that my gunsmith friend assures me are easily replaced.
This is the kind of thing for which, were the ceiling too low, I would cut a hole into the attic above the garage. I haz jealou
https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&view&aisle&fr ... price&pn=1

The inventory comes and goes, but at the moment they still have a couple decent ones (one of which I almost bought) if you don't mind the Varispeed head and being limited to only a 36" wide table.

Edit to add; they also have at least one that is really nice if you want to spend a lot more than I did.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

This does not look so bad, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLD5_sm93zE

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:52 pm Diversity and inclusion training tomorrow. Hopefully I won't say anything that will get me fired. I have a tendency to piss off the instructors in these things.
Actually the training was not too bad, focused on behavior rather than attributes and I can respect that.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 am This does not look so bad, actually.

A series 1 / 2j bridgeport is only about 2200 lbs. Moving them with a pinch bar and pipe rollers is easy. It's when stuff starts getting seriously heavy that moving it by hand becomes a hassle, especially on a finished floor where you can't use a pinch bar as it will chew up the epoxy finish.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 am This does not look so bad, actually.

A series 1 / 2j bridgeport is only about 2200 lbs. Moving them with a pinch bar and pipe rollers is easy. It's when stuff starts getting seriously heavy that moving it by hand becomes a hassle, especially on a finished floor where you can't use a pinch bar as it will chew up the epoxy finish.
Crawlers and come alongs are great. As long as you have the headroom.
I've gone so far as to put a machine on a piece of sheet steel folded up in the front like sled runner, grease the floor, and drag it with a come along hooked to a piece of angle iron set across the base of a door jam.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have one beam that hangs down where the extension off the back of the garage starts that I have to get past, but I don't think it is low enough to be a factor. If it is I will plan on tilting the head for clearance. Kind of wish I had not hauled my engine crane out to AlaskaTRX's hangar once I was done positioning the lathe, but it takes up a fair amount of space when I am not using it.

Need to get my Jeep mobile again so I can get it out of the way. Only a few items left to do to finish the engine upgrade (stroker mod); I put the new throttle body on last night which ended up being a much bigger pain in the ass than I had expected. New high zoot unit wasn't machined right to accept the MAP sensor so I ended up taking a dremel and a file to it whereas it would have been a light clearance cut in a mill. Not worth the hassle to set u the milling attachment on the lathe. Turned out well enough for a file job though.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 pm Crawlers and come alongs are great. As long as you have the headroom.
I've gone so far as to put a machine on a piece of sheet steel folded up in the front like sled runner, grease the floor, and drag it with a come along hooked to a piece of angle iron set across the base of a door jam.
The time in question was when we had to move a 9 ton machine center 20 inch's, to clear an electrical cabinet on another machine. We used riggers skates and a toe jack to get the skates under, and me and another guy shouldered the machine into place. Was not fun. :|
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:52 am The time in question was when we had to move a 9 ton machine center 20 inch's, to clear an electrical cabinet on another machine. We used riggers skates and a toe jack to get the skates under, and me and another guy shouldered the machine into place. Was not fun. :|
Once moved a 6-ton garbage autoclave into a hospital basement. Had to bring it in through the food service loading dock and through the cafeteria. However the corridor connecting from the cafeteria to the wing where the boiler plant was had a drop ceiling concealing the concrete roof (it was actually a tunnel) with just over 6' of clearance. The machine on top of crawler skates was too high. We only had about 35' of low headroom until we cleared the tunnel. The only other option was to move a boiler and condenser and that was flatly refused.
The maintenence guys were supposed to remove the drop ceiling but hadn't bothered since they measured and it was still too low.
We'd shut down food service that night to move the machine, and it was getting through no matter what.
I used 4 plastic cafeteria trays under the 4 feet of the machine. We spread grease on the floor in front of the trays and then used chain falls attached to eye bolts drilled into the concrete walls of the tunnel to pull it through.
We used detergent and hot water to clean the floor and you couldn't tell really what had happened.
After all that the only complaint I had was that I'd ruined 4 cafeteria trays. I put a twenty on the desk of the hospital administrator who had called me in to complain about housekeeping having to wax the floor and the ruined trays.
Since I'd won $100 bet from the powerhouse manager who had bet me he'd come in to work the next morning and find the autoclave stuck in the hall I wasn't too upset.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 pm chain falls attached to eye bolts drilled into the concrete walls of the tunnel to pull it through.
That would have had the CEO throwing a shitfit when he found out about it.