Thoatless shear

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Precision

Thoatless shear

Post by Precision »

I am looking at getting a throatless shear to reduce the amount of time and hassle when I cut titanium for my Buhurt projects. Currently using a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel. It works, but is slow, loud and I would rather not wear (often forget) to wear a respirator.

The issue is not so much which shear, but how do I extrapolate from mild steel and Aluminum capacity to grade 5 titanium capacity.

For example:
if one says it will cut 16 gauge steel (I assume mild), do I just look up the ultimate tensile strength of mild steel and compare that to the grade 5 titanium?

Ultimate tensile of mild steel is about 900
ultimate tensile of grade 5 titanium is about 1150

I will be cutting 0.050" 1.27mm or thinner sheets
16 ga steel is .0598 or 1.51mm

That would seem to be roughly the same considering the titanium is stronger but thinner. Or am I doing this wrong?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Re: Thoatless shear

Post by Netpackrat »

The sheet titanium I have cut was quite a bit thinner than that, but I found that tin snips worked fine. Probably your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the shear you are looking at, and ask them if it can handle your specific material.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:06 pm The sheet titanium I have cut was quite a bit thinner than that, but I found that tin snips worked fine. Probably your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the shear you are looking at, and ask them if it can handle your specific material.
smart. will do
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:05 pm I am looking at getting a throatless shear to reduce the amount of time and hassle when I cut titanium for my Buhurt projects.
A Beverly B-2, or B-3 will do up to 10 gauge Mild Steel. They're easily the best throatless shear on the market, as they basically invented the design. The downside is cost: The B-2 is a grand, the B-3 is $1500. If you want, I know a used machinery dealer who occasionally has them in inventory.

Beverly also makes a B-1, but it's only good to 14 gauge Mild/18 gauge stainless
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I kind of want to get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-JN3201-10 ... 00LP499FM/

We have one at work, and it is amazing. Wouldn't have any need to use it on titanium though.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:57 am
Precision wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:05 pm I am looking at getting a throatless shear to reduce the amount of time and hassle when I cut titanium for my Buhurt projects.
A Beverly B-2, or B-3 will do up to 10 gauge Mild Steel. They're easily the best throatless shear on the market, as they basically invented the design. The downside is cost: The B-2 is a grand, the B-3 is $1500. If you want, I know a used machinery dealer who occasionally has them in inventory.

Beverly also makes a B-1, but it's only good to 14 gauge Mild/18 gauge stainless
No, I think I am gonna get one of the knock offs (possibly used) and see if it works for what I want both in being able to cut and for the purposes needed.

I also need to make sure there is actually a demand for the product I am gonna use it to make before I spend real dollars.

https://armours.pro/brigantine-armor-wimbledon

something like this, but mine will have larger plates as well as be made from GOOD titanium. This company uses grade 2, not grade 4 like some others. Grade 4 being pretty good and grade 2 being fancy aluminum. I will be using grade 5 as I can get it and the Uke's really can't and I have a source for cuts that are much cheaper then buying full sheets.

BUT, mine will be double (and then some) the price.

But, mine will also not take 30 days to ship and 30 days in customs and shipping will be a bit cheaper. The question really is, will people pay more for a product that either

weighs the same and protects way more

or

protects the same and weighs significantly less
BDK

Post by BDK »

Wouldn’t carbon fiber work better?
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:28 pm Wouldn’t carbon fiber work better?
some carbon fiber is only strong in one direction. It also explodes when it is point overloaded. It also deteriorates slowly from impact

but most importantly it is against the rules to use something like that. Titanium is allowed because it kinda sorta looks like steel. Not looking to stop bullets. Looking to stop swords, axes, etc. Blunt and no stabbing by the way.