Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
randy

Re: Does not follow...

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:07 am There's 2 kinds of sheet metal workers... Those who have drilled a hole in their own hand, and those who will.
There was similar saying about SCUBA divers; There are those that have pissed in their wetsuits, those that will, and those that lie about it.

I would imagine it's a bit harder to lie about having an extra hole in your hand.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cobar wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:30 am sheet metal always demands a blood sacrifice
Ever see a tin knockers hands? :shock:

Looks like they tried to stop a tree chipper from the inside
Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:07 am There's 2 kinds of sheet metal workers... Those who have drilled a hole in their own hand, and those who will.
I have a funny story about a guy drilling a hole in his hand. :mrgreen:

The first shop I worked, really, the place I learned my ass from my elbow, is owned by three brothers. One day, one of the brothers was at a drill press drilling holes in parts, when he slipped, and drilled a hole right through his finger. Bleeding like a stuck pig, he quickly wrapped up his hand using the finest of machine shop medical supplies, paper towels and electrical tape, and got back to work. At the end of the day, he went to the emergency room, to see if he needed stickers/tetinus shot/etc.

The took an x-ray.

He had a perfectly round hole through the bone. :shock:

Now here's the funny part, the same guy, who casually dealt with something like that, had/saw another incident the next week, involving a minor wound with a little blood(can't remember if it happened to him, or if he just saw it)

Took one look at what was a minor cut, and fainted dead away. :lol:

One of his brothers was stilltwlling that story a decade after it happened.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

While I have shadowed a lot of tool kits like this for work, I don't generally go to the trouble for personal tools that are unlikely to ever leave my own shop. I made an exception here because I didn't want all of this stuff rolling around in a drawer, and since I bought all the dies individually, I didn't want to have to hunt through a pile to find the one I wanted. Wood cases are nice and all but foam is a lot easier.

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Fucked around, found out:

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/ ... th-murder/

It takes a real genius to try to rob a dude that you know for sure is armed. Especially in North Pole, Alaska.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:52 am Wood cases are nice and all but foam is a lot easier.

Where did you get your foam? I've used various solutions, but I would like to do black when I retire in a couple of years. I plan to rework the shadowing and layout once I have a little more room to spread things out. My current employer has a "casual" approach to tool control, much to my aggravation, but they do at least make a half-hearted stab at it. Blue with yellow backing is their choice, which is fine, but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there.

I've done a lot of shadowing for work too. I've even used my own tools a couple of different places. They are more organized and I have everything I need, without a bunch of crap someone else thinks I might need. Of course, I don't supply calibrated tools, but the rest of it I've been assembling and caring for since I got out of the Army. My inventory and log book is much more organized and accurate than anything I've seen outside the military.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Odahi wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:32 pm Where did you get your foam? I've used various solutions, but I would like to do black when I retire in a couple of years. I plan to rework the shadowing and layout once I have a little more room to spread things out. My current employer has a "casual" approach to tool control, much to my aggravation, but they do at least make a half-hearted stab at it. Blue with yellow backing is their choice, which is fine, but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there.

I've done a lot of shadowing for work too. I've even used my own tools a couple of different places. They are more organized and I have everything I need, without a bunch of crap someone else thinks I might need. Of course, I don't supply calibrated tools, but the rest of it I've been assembling and caring for since I got out of the Army. My inventory and log book is much more organized and accurate than anything I've seen outside the military.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYUXORM/

Probably overpriced but I am not planning on doing a huge amount of it either. I chose yellow backing mainly because we have black with red at work and I didn't want anybody from work who might see it to think I had lifted the foam from work. The black is adhesive backed which makes it a little easier to get the halves stuck together accurately, compared to the stuff at work which you have to do with a heat gun. The downsides are the adhesive really gums up your blades when you are cutting it, and the paper backing is more difficult to cut through. You don't have to cut through the paper backing to get the foam out of your tool cavities but it makes it easier/cleaner. Would probably be ideal for somebody doing laser cutting. Where I can, I use a single edge razor blade because I can just toss them rather the cleaning like I have to do with the x-acto blades used for the smaller and more intricate cuts.

Used a commercially made 1" gasket punch for the round dies in the box pictured, results were kind of meh with a lot of tearing. I also made a set for 13/16" dies, and couldn't find a commercial hollow punch in that size. I made one on the lathe out of a piece of tubing and it made much cleaner holes, although still not perfect.

Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Jered

Post by Jered »

He's still less dangerous than Alec Baldwin and less menacing than Dianne Feinstein.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I just had a really bad idea..

I don't think it will work, the inside length of the mag is just a bit too short. .(150-.200)

An AR 10 in 416 Aagard. The 376 Steyr case it's based on is only .028 larger in diameter than 308...
Last edited by HTRN on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

A fine piece of hoplophobe trolling by the Rep. PSH from all of them.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story