Western novel recommendations

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Western novel recommendations

Post by Weetabix »

My daughter-in-law asked me for recommendations for western novels for her grandpa. I haven't actually read a lot of western novels. I told her Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey were the standard big names. I told her the Sackett series was well-regarded as far as I know.

I read Lonesome Dove and found it a bit too depressing to read again. Don't know how to do a spoiler tag, so I won't say why.

Any recommendations for westerns that I really should read?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Re: Western novel recommendations

Post by Netpackrat »

Sackett series is good, Reilly's Luck is another good introduction to L'Amour.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Can’t help with older Westerns, but I can strongly recommend the ‘Ames Archive’ series by Peter Grant. The series starts just after the Civil War, and follows an ex-Confederate soldier who moves out west. They should be available in print and e-book.

Here’s the Amazon link for the first book:

https://www.amazon.com/Brings-Lightning ... xt&sr=1-15
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

J.L. Curtis (Old NFO) writes a pretty good western. He has a couple of series available.

Rio Bell series https://www.amazon.com/Showdown-River-B ... s_li_ss_tl

Texas Rangers https://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Pistol-Goo ... uage=en_US

Plus his writing style carries over into his modern Texas books, The Grey Man series, and his science fiction series. And he is due to release an anthology and a new Rio Bell book this week or the next.

Ray
Jered

Post by Jered »

I came here to suggest the Peter Grant novels.

He's got another series started called 'The Annals of Ash.'
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I've liked Jory and Mistr Jory by Milton Bass.
Weet, is your Daughter in Law sure her Grandpa hasn't read any of our suggestions yet?
I also liked various stories by Max Brand, but at 45 years on, I can't remember any specific titles.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thanks for the Peter Grant tip. Been enjoying the Ames stories.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Windy Wilson wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:18 pmWeet, is your Daughter in Law sure her Grandpa hasn't read any of our suggestions yet?
Not a clue. That's her area of research. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I thought of a book your daughter in law's grandfather will probably like.
The book is in that gray area between truth and fiction, but one I highly recommend that he probably hasn't read is "Trails Plowed Under" by Charles Russell, the Montana Western and Cowboy artist. His wife had him sit down with a stenographer and tell the stories he collected in his 45 years in Montana, and they are all terrific stories.
Raphael Cristy, who for many years performed a one-man show as Charles Russell, wrote in his book, "the Stoyteller's Art", that most of the names he used were the names of his friends and fellow cowboys from the days when he worked for the various cattle companies as a "Nighthawk", that is a night herder to keep the cows and horses calm and together through the night.
I think if her grandfather likes western stories, he will like this book, written in an authentic "Cowboy" voice to the point that reading them aloud is really fun.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy