Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
tfbncc

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by tfbncc »

I don't see that argument carrying much weight with The Hague. Texas may not have been a signatory, but France was. And that is binding. I foresee serious consequences on the world stage for France. Politically and monetarily, not to mention being ostracized by other nations of Europe. Assuming that the current French govt is still in place after Texas gets done with it. This is gonna be fun!

Ray
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

tfbncc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:08 am I don't see that argument carrying much weight with The Hague. Texas may not have been a signatory, but France was. And that is binding. I foresee serious consequences on the world stage for France. Politically and monetarily, not to mention being ostracized by other nations of Europe.
My understanding of the 1925 Geneva Protocol (from the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Protocol) is that it was not considered to apply to use against non-signatory nations. This likely wouldn’t stop sanctions, but there would be a lot of rules-lawyering debate first in some countries.

Plus they can always point out that the attack was ordered by the previous (and now conveniently dead) President.
Assuming that the current French govt is still in place after Texas gets done with it. This is gonna be fun!
You may recall Karl’s suggestion to the Texas SecWar that large thermobarics should be considered similar to poison gas?

:twisted: To quote David Weber, ‘tum te tum te tum... :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Captain Wheelgun

Another snippet - Britain weighs it’s options... (This takes place the day after the Galveston attack)

Removed due to upcoming publication of Book 2. See my post on 09/07/2022 for more info.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

Sorry about the delay in posting, I’m still working on the book.

I had hoped that the ‘Haunted Library’ anthology would have been published by now. Apparently they have split it into two volumes, and my story, ‘The Ghosts of Port Aransas’ is going to be in volume two.
Captain Wheelgun

Here’s a fairly long snippet, which takes place about a month after the Galveston attack. Texas is getting back on it’s feet
(Note: Isla de Pinos is today known as Isla de Juventud, and it is just south of the main island of Cuba. Until the late 1960’s, it was the location of Cuba’s main prison, the Presidio Modelo.)

Removed due to upcoming publication of Book 2. See my post on 09/07/2022 for more info.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I'm still hooked. When do you think you will have the next 10 books finished? (evil grin)

Ray
Captain Wheelgun

tfbncc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:36 am I'm still hooked. When do you think you will have the next 10 books finished? (evil grin)

Ray
[Elvis] Thankya, thankya vurra much. [/Elvis]

I’m hoping to have this one done and kicked out the door by mid September, when I go to FenCon in Dallas. Hopefully that darned short story will have been published by then, too.

Beyond that, I don’t know yet.
Captain Wheelgun

Another snippet - Things are getting organized...

(Note - The ‘Cargofly’ is a twin-engined autogyro, capable of carrying about 12 troops or equivalent cargo. Picture a half-scale Fairey Rotodyne.)

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Update on the Haunted Library anthology here:

https://oldnfo.org/2022/07/29/oopsie-22/#comments

My story, ‘The Ghosts of Port Aransas’ will be in Volume 2, which looks to be coming out about mid September. Maybe I’ll have a two-fer if I can get Book 2 done by then.

That’s also around the time that I’ll be in Dallas for FenCon.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Given the enemy, the Texas forces simply must have a weapon known as the "Gig" in their arsenal.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop