Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Thanks for your reply, Ray. This is the kind of info I need since I never served in the military myself. I will review what I have written, including the sections that I haven’t posted.

One question, was ship glass that blast resistant on the 1930’s?
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
randy

Post by randy »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 pm One question, was ship glass that blast resistant on the 1930’s?
I'm not an expert, but keep in mind that the glass on the ship's bridge had to be able to sustain repeated and numerous shock waves from the concussion of firing the main batteries.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

One question, was ship glass that blast resistant on the 1930’s?
Yes. It would normally be about 2 to 3 inches thick of laminated glass on a light cruiser and larger. Destroyers and frigates, not quite as thick. It had to be able to withstand the shockwave of the the main guns as Randy described, heavy weather, shell splinters from incoming rounds, etc. A lot of older ships also had steel blast shields that could be dropped in front of the bridge windows with just a small slit in the steel to view out of. However, in your scenario, they would not be in place as the ship is moored in a supposedly safe port.

I'm glad to be able to help with my meager contributions.

Ray
Captain Wheelgun

Thank you both once again. This really helps.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

OK, TFBNCC and Randy, I’ve re-written that last section based on your comments. Please let me know what you think. The whole thing is over 24,000 words, and I estimate I’m between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way to having it done.

Snippet deleted due to upcoming book release March 2, 2022.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I like that better. Having the captain yell "damage report!" struck me as something you would expect from an episode of Star Trek... It makes some sense with space fiction technology, but not so much on an obsolescent warship in the 1930s.

In your alternate timeline, what is the name of USS New York's sister ship?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Having the captain yell "damage report!" struck me as something you would expect from an episode of Star Trek... It makes some sense with space fiction technology, but not so much on an obsolescent warship in the 1930s.
Where do you think Star Trek got it from?
Captain Wheelgun

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 am I like that better. Having the captain yell "damage report!" struck me as something you would expect from an episode of Star Trek... It makes some sense with space fiction technology, but not so much on an obsolescent warship in the 1930s.

In your alternate timeline, what is the name of USS New York's sister ship?
Good question, I was thinking about using USS Minnesota. IIRC the only previous ship with that name was an old pre-dreadnaught, and there was never a modern battleship of that name.

I also thought about having the RTN buy that ship so she could be TNS Texas, but decided that would be getting too cute.
Captain Wheelgun

Snippet deleted due to upcoming book release March 2, 2022.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Roosevelt's response seems a little underwhelming. Having just found out that one of his admirals has probably been complicit in an attack on a foreign nation's ships, I tend to think that his first response would be to contain and curtail the immediate threat to the Texas Navy, but also the political relations between Texas and the US. After reading the report from Captain Von Stahlberg, he would get very coldly angry. Nobody crosses The President without repercussions.

I may be jumping the gun here, but for a bit more dramatic effect, it might be fun to have the president immediately order Adm. Leahy to get to Norfolk by the quickest means possible and relieve Adm. Hall of command. Take along a couple of marines to arrest Adm. Hall pending the investigation and possible court martial. Would be nice to see Adm. Hall try to bluster his way past a master gunnery sergeant with a .45 and no sense of humor. Overall, I'm loving this story. Keep up the good work and type faster.

Ray